• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ, looking for advice

dsapper

NAXJA Forum User
First off, hello everyone. I just purchased an XJ after looking around, what seemed like, forever. I had one in high school in 95' and have always wanted to get another one. I run a dealership and the mythical little old lady traded it in. 100,000 miles,1999 bone stock and she never shifted it into 4wd. I jumped on it.

After buying it and a bit of stock wheeling (not to fun) I put a 4.5" rusty's lift on it, 31" BFG's and a CB. I've been playing with it quite a bit and having a blast, I've even talked my fiancee into it and she is loving it as well.

So now to the questions. I'm in Las Vegas and would like more of an expedition type vehicle to explore the desert. Not looking for a pre-runner but something very reliable, easy to drive on the highway and capable. I'm very concerned about reliability and safety especially considering I'm going to be exploring the middle of a 120 degree desert.

I have a nice inverter, front sway bar disconnects and link pin eliminators on order (broke a link pin yesterday on the front passenger side, fun)

So, any suggestions? I have the cooling system and lockers bouncing around in my head right now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Here are some jeep pictures, my girl was driving but you get the idea.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Selectable lockers.
LongArms
OBA

I'm on the wall about lockers only because I have a dana 35 in the rear. I read horror stories but hate to put 2k in a dana 44 with lockers in a jeep I paid 500 for. Are they really that big of a difference?

Whats the benefit of long arms over short arms, just more travel? Can I add them to the rusty's 4.5" I already have?

On board air is in the works, just trying to find a solution I like

Thanks!

id throw a roof rack with some auxillary lighting on that baby

I'd actually like a rack but I hear they make alot of noise. I'm not to concerned with it but having it on a 4 hour freeway ride might make me change my mind. Do they make that much noise, how much help are the wind deflectors I see on some of them?

I have a 96 and have it spooled and love it. It my daily driver and sort of a pain driving on the streets. But out playing it has helped me with keeping power to the ground when needed. I have the same 4.5in lift with the quik release sway bars. I never use them they are always disconected. I suggest cutting your fender wells and tossing 33's on it though

welcome, nice looking jeep.
I'm on the wall about lockers only because I have a dana 35 in the rear. I read horror stories but hate to put 2k in a dana 44 with lockers in a jeep I paid 500 for.

you got an insanely good deal on that, so dont use it as an excuse to not put any money into it!

find a late model chry 8.25 out of another cherokee, you do not need to hold out for a d44. you could also get an explorer 8.8 if you dont mind having some minor fab work done. either way... if you want reliability, that d35's gotta go!.

One of the benefits of being a car dealer I guess. I'm not really capable of fab work is why I was looking for a cherokee dana 44 for easy swap. You think with 31's and lockers I'm still risking failure with the dana 35?

Stick some armor on that clean rig befor you beat it up to bad. Rock rails Tcase skid, etc..... Def make sure the cooling systen is up to par being out in that heat. Getting rid of that D35 would also be on the top of my list.

Installed the link pins, jks disco's and removed the rear swaybar on turkey day. Can't really tell a difference on the road without the rear swaybar in so its going right in the trash.

Since long arms were mentioned and I'm looking for a rear end before I tackle lockers/sye etc, I was looking at the TNT kit.

It looks like it comes with a nice belly skid and it comes with their frame braces, any feedback on the rock-tek y-link from them? Can I install this myself? I have the transfer case drop from rusty's that came with my lift kit, does that have to be removed for this?

I'm trying to wait on the sye until I have the correct rear end so I dont have to get a drive shaft remade.

Well your off to a pretty good start. Most of us ditch that rear swaybar anyways.

Not sure on the lift your talking about.. If your not putting an SYE in then the Tcase drop will need to be used again to keep your vibes down. If you have a decent set of tools. There should be no reason why you can't do it yourself. I'm sure if you posted a "wrench party" Your be supprised how many people in you neck of the wood would be happy to help you. NAXJA members are pretty good at lending a hand. Mention beer and pizza... You'll have help. LOL

Last edited:
I like it, I got the full spring kit. Not much to compare it to but I have no complaints. I actually found out I have the 8.25 anyways, I must have looked at it wrong, stupid me.

So its getting a sye kit put on friday to handle a driveline vibration that came up and to get rid of the transfer case drop

SYE are good but if the vibes are just starting now then you might want to look into joints also. I've heard some bad about rusty's lately so I hesitated on buying from them but good to hear you like it. Did you go with the spring and shackle or all spring?. Also a tranny cooler is a must as these trannys run hot as it is and will help it out.

Novak makes a great aluminum radiator. That with electric fans and you should be able to handle any heat on the planet. As for lockers, that is a matter of preference. The most versitile is the Detroit Soft Locker. If you want something a little more "streetable" then the Detroit True Trak. I have one and love it.

I will have to agree with 1evilxj in the above, a good transmission cooler is something that is essential with the AW4 (if you have a later model automatic).

Good luck and happy wheeling.

Ok, some help please

I've had a shaking in the vehicle starting at 55mph and up, its loud and very annoying. The whole vehicle shakes and all the panels rattle. It shakes under throttle, off throttle and in neutral. There was no shaking at all with the stock lift.

To fix it I replaced the upper control arm bushings (all 4), have the rusty's lift with new lowers, springs, adjustable track bar etc. I did the currie currylink steering setup, new ome steering stabilizer, new ball joints (all 4). I've done the sye as well.

Its been aligned perfectly to rusty's specs for a 4.5" lift. I've checked the torque on every bolt. I load balanced every tire, they are perfect, I even swapped tires and wheels, same exact shake. Now I'm at a loss.

The only other things I can think of are hubs and u-joints on the front. I inspected them and they look like they are in good shape though. Any advice or help would be appreciated very very much, I'm at my wits end

Have you shimmed the rear axle?
Maybe your drive shaft angles are off.
Possibly see if the front driveshaft is the problem.

Last edited:
Back