• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight switch issue!!

ARGLE707

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 jeep cherokee, headlight switch went out. Went to 4 different parts stores, the problem is my orginal headlight switch is 6 prong and so is the plug. The part stores have 7 prong for this yr and model that doesnt not fit in the plug. Anyone else have this problem?
why cant i find a 6 prong switch?? One of the guys at the store told me to bend the 7th prong and see if that works, but if it doesnt i cant return it. WTF.. does anyone know where to find this switch and suggestions?? thanks.

My 87 and 89 are 7 prong. Perhaps the HO models, 91 and up had 6 prong?

I just looked at every single year from several different companies and they all have 7 prong plugs from 86-93

Still lookin. Can you supply a picture?

Please don't bend the prong down and burn your wires up.

Edit: Found this one but it only seems to have 4 and I'm not even sure that's the right one. All the rest I've seen have 7 prongs.

Last edited:
Damn, I forgot to add the link earlier. I've done that several times lately.

Jeff, that's actually where my link was supposed to go. I haven't been able to find a 6 prong plug for any Cherokee.

A picture would help some.

you mean like this one?

headlightswitch.jpg

I pulled this out of a '90 XJ at the local pick-your-part. I really only needed the knob but grabbed the whole thing. Yours for $2 +shipping (all I paid). I should qualify that I never did test it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Todd

Does it have a number anywhere on the side of it? I'm quite interested now. I looked on every site everywhere and they list a 7 prong plug for a 90 XJ.

Does it have a number anywhere on the side of it? I'm quite interested now. I looked on every site everywhere and they list a 7 prong plug for a 90 XJ.

There is a number on the side in what looks like blue ink and a number stamped into the bottom.

The number on the side is: 2859-7
The number on the bottom is: 895600D97

HTH

BTW, it looks like it will fit in a USPS small flat rate box ($5.20).

searching the web for "jeep headlight switch schematic" yields multiple hits. All of them seem to show that 7th pin as "not used" so the guidance from the parts guy to break it off is probably ok.....

Is the OP sure the 7 pin will not fit the plug he has?

It has a letter P stamped at the base near that 7th pin.

But if the 1990 did not use that pin, just breaking it off should be the solution for 1990's.

I put a meter on the 6 pin I showed in the picture. The two middle pins seem to trigger the Park lights and are closed in both the first and second click position of the pull out knob. When I moved the second probe to the "P" pin (the stud is still there), it is closed when Park lights are on on the first click (when pulling the headlight switch out) but goes "open" on the second click (headlights on). This means that this post would only have power when the headlight switch is set for "park" and would not have power when the headlights are on. Wracking my brain to try to figure out what this mode would be used for.....

*updated* Yes Its for sure a 90 cherokee, I have for sure googled it and came up with nothing, Dont understand why my cherokee has this, the 7th prong has "P" next to it but I decided to bend and pull it out and it pluged right in to it and BINGO all lights work! :) Dont understand why, but really considering going to junkyard anyways for extras and maybe new plug. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

I still mind bobbled by the 6 prong switch and plug, oh well, it works now ill post pics of the old one later just so you all understand what i mean. thanks again!:rof:

Last edited:
Back