• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN header won't fit Renix

motoxpete

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know I'm gonna get smart a$$ comments on this one. I ordered a APN header for my XJ about a year ago, came in the mail and then are started on a deferent project on the Jeep. Regardless that project is done and I'm ready to install this header. Ok since I work 28 days strait then off for 2 weeks a friend of mine offered to install it while i was gone for work. He has a lift in his garage and needed some cash. Now my XJ is a 1989 Renix, here is where the smart ass comments come in. The APN header is for years 91-99. However I did a lot of research and talk to Joe_Peters ( he's a XJ guru that's on this board and has tons of knowledge about these XJ's and Renix versions) he told me that the APN header would bolt up to my motor. The only thing that was different was the fact that the newer XJ's didn't have a bung on the header to screw the EGR sensor into. So basically he told me it would fit, I would just have to have a muffler shop weld on another bung or do away with the EGR valve. Now my friend doing the work is saying that with an angle on the header he can't get the intake manifold to bolt up. Now even tho I'm home from work I busy installing a lift on my new XJ that I drive daily, so I haven't got to his house to look at it personally . I guess really what I wanna know is if anyone has any personal experience her. I sent Joe a message but didn't hear back from him yet. Does anyone else know if HO headers will fit on a Renix

Re: APN header won't fit

Condensed version:

Ordered 91-99 APN header for 89 XJ on advice that it would still fit. Person installing is having a hard time making it fit. Any one have any advice on how to make it work or if it will indeed work at all?

;)
That should make it easier for everyone to read. :D

I had fitment issues with my APN manifold on my 97 which the APN was designed for. It was hitting the intake manifold and from what I read is not at all uncommon. You need to either bang or file away metal to make clearance if it was anything like my issue.

Condensed version:

Ordered 91-99 APN header for 89 XJ on advice that it would still fit. Person installing is having a hard time making it fit. Any one have any advice on how to make it work or if it will indeed work at all?

;)
That should make it easier for everyone to read. :D

lol.... Yeah Darky.... I guess you are right lol. I deff could have made a much shorter version of that. I should know better because I know when I go to look at a thread and and it's long as hell like the one I just did, I normally don't even bother reading it. I even copied you version because I was gonna edit my post and insert yours, however I guess you can't edit a post unless your name is in red

when i was looking for a header for my renix all i could find for it was the pacesetter which wasnt perfect in the fitment department when it came to the crossover pipe as i had to weld in a flexible sections.

my advice would be get a look at it and depending on the severity of contact either see if you can remove some metal or if your good with fab get to cuttin and weldin a and make it work as you have the basic foundation for the header or lastly try to sell it and go with a pacesetter which will bolt up just fine but you will have to do the fab work i suggested as to welding in a flexible section in the crossover along with cutting and rewelding the EGR tube which is kinda tricky with the thinness of the tube and you will need to extend your o2 wires, i cut and solder the sender side of the wire and leave the factory harness alone

lol.... Yeah Darky.... I guess you are right lol. I deff could have made a much shorter version of that. I should know better because I know when I go to look at a thread and and it's long as hell like the one I just did, I normally don't even bother reading it. I even copied you version because I was gonna edit my post and insert yours, however I guess you can't edit a post unless your name is in red
You can only modify until like 45 minutes after or something like that.

IIRC the flange for the downpipe is also at a different angle / has a different number of bolts holding it to the downpipe, any chance you can check that? I can't guarantee this is correct but I seem to recall it being that way for some reason.

Clearance on the manifolds is simple as already said, just grind till it fits, a little at a time so you don't go too far.

IIRC the flange for the downpipe is also at a different angle / has a different number of bolts holding it to the downpipe, any chance you can check that? I can't guarantee this is correct but I seem to recall it being that way for some reason.

Clearance on the manifolds is simple as already said, just grind till it fits, a little at a time so you don't go too far.

Angle is different. No O2 bung in the manifold or EGR bung. Headpipe needs to be replaced along with the later manifold and O2 sensor bung can be installed into the headpipe rather than the manifold..

Back