• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 50

rob93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a good bit of research, it seems most people just throw numbers out in comparison to d44s and 60s, and not so much on people actually running them offroad. Basically d60 from the C's out, and d44 everywhere else except for the ring gear which is a little larger.
I found one with 4.88s and a lockright, bolt in for my xj. (brackets are all there already) for 750. I'm thinking if I can get down to 600 or so, it would be worth it... Could be a cheap, easy swap which should handle possibly 38-40s in the terrain I run, mud.
Before anyone tells me to find a 79 ford dana 60 kingpin, I'm a poor college student and cannot afford an axle plated in gold, my options end up being the later ford ball joint 60s, or possibly this d50.
So is anyone actually running a dana 50 who can give some insight?

Do it. Basically the R&P is about 44% stronger than a normal HP44. Only issue is the pinion shaft it's self is still the same size so the same argument can be made that it's no stronger. I run 5.13's and normally strip teeth off my pinion instead of breaking the pinion at the splines.
Even at $750 it's worth your time. If it does fail upgrade shafts ext... or Superduty 60's are cheaply had too.

Do it. Basically the R&P is about 44% stronger than a normal HP44. Only issue is the pinion shaft it's self is still the same size so the same argument can be made that it's no stronger. I run 5.13's and normally strip teeth off my pinion instead of breaking the pinion at the splines.
Even at $750 it's worth your time. If it does fail upgrade shafts ext... or Superduty 60's are cheaply had too.

I would just hate to regret not getting a 60 later on

if its bolt in and you can get it for 600 then grab it, and i have no idea why peaple have such a fetish for the 78-79 ford 60's

if its bolt in and you can get it for 600 then grab it, and i have no idea why peaple have such a fetish for the 78-79 ford 60's

Nice username, lol. I can see why theyre a slightly better axle compared to other 60s, but for the price they go I really dont understand either.

Nice username, lol. I can see why theyre a slightly better axle compared to other 60s, but for the price they go I really dont understand either.
Actually the newer D60's are arguably stronger. From what I understand thicker tubes and housings. The reason they are sought after so much for our Jeeps, Rangers and other smaller vehicles is the short side is longer so its easier to toss coils on. I snagged my D60HP balljoint from a 1992/3 (IDR) for $92 at a upullit yard. With gears, locker and brackets thats the same price for your D50 if you can talk it down to $600. Its by no means a weak axle. For up to a 38" tire it will probably run great on stock everything. If you start breaking upgrade the shafts and move on. Its a D60 housing with a mix match of parts in it.

I've done a good bit of research, it seems most people just throw numbers out in comparison to d44s and 60s, and not so much on people actually running them offroad. Basically d60 from the C's out, and d44 everywhere else except for the ring gear which is a little larger.
I found one with 4.88s and a lockright, bolt in for my xj. (brackets are all there already) for 750. I'm thinking if I can get down to 600 or so, it would be worth it... Could be a cheap, easy swap which should handle possibly 38-40s in the terrain I run, mud.
Before anyone tells me to find a 79 ford dana 60 kingpin, I'm a poor college student and cannot afford an axle plated in gold, my options end up being the later ford ball joint 60s, or possibly this d50.
So is anyone actually running a dana 50 who can give some insight?

Nothing wrong with the D50 - in Monobeam trim. Bear in mind that an awful lot of D50s are IFS tho, so it may take some digging to find a Monobeam version. Check the F350 and F250SD trucks in the mid-1980's or so, I think (I'd have to check notes to revise that any further,) or anything with a "monobeam" option listed (since that refers to the front axle being solid vice having IFS.) The TTB brackets can be cut off and new suspension brackets burned on.

The D50 is usually considered a "bastard child" and is somewhat less common than the D61 (the D61 found its way under Ford and Dodge, while the D50 is essentially Ford-only,) but it's out there and there's nothing really wrong with it.

Me? I just want to score 44's fore and aft, but I'm more into just a "go-anywhere" truck than technical 'crawling. Know where I can score a set? Relatively cheap?

Me? I just want to score 44's fore and aft, but I'm more into just a "go-anywhere" truck than technical 'crawling. Know where I can score a set? Relatively cheap?
Come visit SD I can get you a matched pair of waggy 44's for under $400. Hell I could get you an HD44HP and matched sterling rear for that.

Come visit SD I can get you a matched pair of waggy 44's for under $400. Hell I could get you an HD44HP and matched sterling rear for that.

The Sterling would be overkill - just the 44's please. I'm assuming "SD" is "San Diego?" I may need to stack up some nickels and borrow a pick-em-up truck...

D44 rear and D44HP front would be just ducky, thanks!

The Sterling would be overkill - just the 44's please. I'm assuming "SD" is "San Diego?" I may need to stack up some nickels and borrow a pick-em-up truck...

D44 rear and D44HP front would be just ducky, thanks!
hmm SD meaning South Dakota...:dunce:

Back