• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal on one side doesn't work...

plmuzikmaster

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I need a little bit of help. The turn signal on the left side of my car doesn't work. Everything on the right does so that is good. I already checked all the bulbs and they are fine along with the fuses. When I turn on the left turn signal, the front bulbs are solid and the green indicator light also stays solid but the rear bulb does not light up.

Would anybody know what else I can check and where it is located to figure it out? This is on a 92 Cherokee Sport...

Thanks!

Re: Turn Signal on one side doesn't wotk...

my turn signals work when they want to one turn they are perfectly fine the next nothing haha. anyone know whats causing that.

Re: Turn Signal on one side doesn't wotk...

There is blinker relay under the dash on Renix, not sure where the HO years put the blinker relay, maybe under the hood in the relay box? Check for bad flasher - relay first. They are cheap. If that does not fix it, then you need to open up the steering column, and service or replace the blinker switch itself.
There are pictures and how to posts here in this forum if you search.

More new info...
I turned the hazards on and 3 corners work (FR, FL and RR) so rear left still doesn't work.
Yes, the bulb is fine.
Where would the ground be that I should check?

Mine i think was behind the plastic by the light. You can us a tester to see if the holder is grounded.Just clip the ground to the holder and check the wire for power.If it doesn't work there, then try a new place for the gound and test power wire again. If you still have no power you'll need to chase the wire, but it sounds more like a ground to me.

Id check the ground off the tail light to the body, also check for corrosion on the bulb socket. I had one go bad and it gave me some of the same symptoms.

Just thought of another question... For the taillight that the amber doesn't work, the red and white lights work perfect. Is there a ground per bulb or for the whole unit?

check for corrosion.

I replaced both front blinker sockets...no more problem. The blinker (all lights) sockets get corroded and the old factory grease in them gets hard and brittle. all it takes is just a little corrosion in the right spot and pow, you're out of business.

You also try just cleaning the sockets out and regreasing them. Check the circuit for power TO the light.

Well I feel stupid... I physically inspected the bulb and it looked fine but then I tossed it in on the other side and it didn't work. Then I compared the bulbs and they are definitely different so I am assuming the previous owner fudged it up...

Also, when I put the working bulb in, I noticed it blinking a little funky so the ground needs a little work and it should be fine. THANKS ALL!

On to the NSS...

88 MJ and diagnosing with an 89 FSM.

The front park lamps do not work.
The front turn signal flashes but on the incorrect (dim) filament.
When the headlamps are on both turn indicators on the dash are illuminated.
I have removed each bulb and checked, ran independent grounds, cleaned or replaced sockets.

Stuck. Any thoughts?

I am unsure if this year had wink lights where he markers and frt turn flashed at different times unless the headlamps are on. It has been (gulp) 25 years since I worked at Buick, but remember that the winking was a result of opposing voltage sources.

back to the garage...need to get this fixed as the local PD is balancing the books by writing plenty of tickets.

Have you replaced the flasher relays? Do you have the correct bulbs, and are they installed the right way?

IIRC the yellow side markers do not flash, only the lower front lamps flash.

I am having a similar issue where the left rear turn signal is not working. I replaced the bulb and it still will not work when I turn on my hazards. Right now I have another issue where turn signals will not work period, but hazards do. I have looked at fuses, and now going to see if the turn signal relay is bad, just need find it. could this cause the other issue of the one not working even when hazards are on?

What year is it?

Did you use the right bulb?

Did you install the bulb backwards?

No turn signals at all can be damaged wiring (bad ground) or the turn signal switch in the column is toast. I had to replace the turn signal switch on mine recently to fix the drivers side turn signals.

Not sure but I think the older jeeps use different flashers for the turn and hazard signals, so one test is swap flashers. Check the fuses too.

Older jeeps have the flashers near the fuse box under the driver's side dash.

Back