• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Disco Seal Question

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question to eliminate my confusion. Is there one or axle two seals that need to be replaced on the passenger side of the axle (vacuum hosing and/or diff)? After searching, it appears that the right side seal of the vacuum housing may be the only seal on that side. If so, does oil from the differential feed the intermediate shaft bearing at the vacuum housing? How does one install (what tool do you use) the seal at the vacuum housing, s I assume you do not have to remove the carrier to do this? TIA. I'm half way into this project already.

On the vacuum disconnect D30, there is no pass. side seal by the carrier, only one outboard of the disco. housing. Gear oil goes down the axle tube to the disconnect mechanism. I've never installed a seal there, just knocked them out to eliminate the disco mechanism and replace with a one piece shaft, and added the seal in by the carrier. I image to replace the seal, you would be able to tap/pry it in with the disconnect mechaism removed.

Yes, I had found that post from the GrimmJeeper (great write up!). However, he was dealing with a non-disco Dane 30, which contributed to my earlier confusion. I did finally find a few posts that ended my confusion. I had to fabricate a tool to press the disco axle seal into place by pulling from the outside of the knuckle. It took a while to figure that one out. Now, I'm in the middle of ball joint replacement. Then put the brake system back together and I should be rolling again soon (fingers crossed). Thanks for your reply!

Back