• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REPLACE TILT/AIRBAG STEERING WHEEL

Blk96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 sport with the tilt/cruise/airbag steering column. I want to replace the whole thing for one of those grant steering wheels.

Ive read its difficult to do so with these type of steering columns. something to do with how it tilts. others with the clock-spring not fitting back in place and the turn signals wont turn off automatically.

Also grant doesnt make install kits for 96-98 XJs. So does anyone have any idea or any one know a write-up.

i will be swapping in an older style steering wheel from an 89 onto my 96 this weekend or next week to eliminate the god ugly steering wheel but mostly the air bag. done without them in all my old dodge rams for as long as i have had a license haha. i will be sure to let you know how it goes

You can disable the airbag on 95 and 96 xjs with an 8mm socket and a ratchet for offroad use. The screw is under a plastic cover plug on the top center of the wheel, just back it out till it stops turning easily. To rearm screw it back in. You should remain out of the line of fire while doing this.

I dont want to have to manually shut my signals off. I can re-wire the horn to work on the new wheel but i want my signals to work correctly.

I dont want the airbag or the wheel. My wheels leather has stripped off and it looks horrible. I live in ohio so no emission testing so they wont care. Will having a 1" spacer that grant sells help to keep the clockpspring by giving it more room

So I still dont know if i can put the Grant steering wheel on yet with ease. I dont want to have to manually turn off my turn signals.

Does anyone know for sure if the grant will fit regardless of the clockspring? I think i could HANDLE having to shut them off.

Also i have to rewire the horn as well?? anything else

So I still dont know if i can put the Grant steering wheel on yet with ease. I dont want to have to manually turn off my turn signals.

Does anyone know for sure if the grant will fit regardless of the clockspring? I think i could HANDLE having to shut them off.

Also i have to rewire the horn as well?? anything else

When i swapped mine out the only available hub was the LeCarra i mentioned in the above post. there was no way the clockspring would be able to stay in there. My horn is now a button on the side just below the turn signal stock. Simple to wire up. i can give you all the pics and wiring steps you'll need. As for having to self cancel the signals; it is no biggie at all, I actually prefer it. -B

I swapped in a ZJ leather wheel, not too much work, just re -drill the airbag support brqcket mounting holes, and dremeled the plastic to get the airbag back in

You know if you get in an accident you can get f**ked with insurance if your injured. Your deliberately disabling an OEM safety device. I dont care, but just saying.

Back