• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Idea

werewoulf3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i bought the jeep with a 4.5 lift, dont know about an SYE, driveshaft, tcase drop or LCA's..........ive always wanted a long arm kit and have a few thoughts on it

1. Should i replace the parts of the lift i need until i get to buy the LA kit, as in SYE kit, LCA's?

2. I want to go up about 5-6 inches so what all would i need?

3. Would it be ok to go ahead and replace the track bar, LCA's, UCA's and SYE till i can afford the lift?

4. Im trying to get rid of my driveline vibration so thats why i want to replace these parts

Ok so i bought the jeep with a 4.5 lift, dont know about an SYE, driveshaft, tcase drop or LCA's:confused1..........ive always wanted a long arm kit and have a few thoughts on it

1. Should i replace the parts of the lift i need until i get to buy the LA kit, as in SYE kit, LCA's?

2. I want to go up about 5-6 inches so what all would i need?

3. Would it be ok to go ahead and replace the track bar, LCA's, UCA's and SYE till i can afford the lift?

4. Im trying to get rid of my driveline vibration so thats why i want to replace these parts

1. u want to buy a SYE & LCA's for now, then when u can afford it, LA's?.. does it have aftermarket CA's (lower/upper) already installed??

2. um, lets go front to back (with the assumption u want a reliable 5-6" lift)... drop pitman arm, adjustable track bar (ideally frame side heim or double shear), longer sway bar end links, coils (&/or spacers, adjustable spacer), shocks, brake lines, upper & lower CA's (if using short arms, use drop brackets) or LA's, SYE, longer rear driveshaft, ideally full leaf packs or combinations of add-a-leaf/extended shackles/relocation brackets...

3. sure, y not... i guess only if there's nothing wrong with the track bar & CA's

4. CA's dont contribute to vibes (well atleast not the source of vibes, yes longer arms change driveline angles, leading to vibrations)... how do u kno the "vibes" arent from the rear shaft? or could be from the front shaft... u-joints still good? is the front axle (dana 30) low pinion (LP) or high pinion (HP)??

do u understand what an SYE is & what it does?

the major things needed when converting to Long Arms, will be a crossmember to accommodate mounting to the "frame" & brake lines... tho i'd be concerned to leave my shocks as the flex limiter... limit straps come in play

Last edited:
How about some pictures and we can tell you what you have and where you should go from there.

Sounds to me like you still have a lot off reading ahead of you.

Is this the first XJ you've owned?

i do have pics up under another thread, its labeled need help/advice......and yes this is the first xj for me

Also, it has a dana35 right now, should i just go ahead and source an 8.25 or 44?

Here are your pictures for this thread too.

I have no clue what kind of arms those are but they probably don't need to be replaced. At the most you could put some new bushings in them. Now, if your caster is way off they you may want to acquire a set of adjustable upper CAs. Other than that... They look fine.

dscn2712j.jpg

By werewoulf3 at 2011-11-13
dscn2710t.jpg

dscn2709g.jpg

dscn2708e.jpg

dscn2707u.jpg

dscn2706qw.jpg

dscn2704l.jpg

dscn2703t.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how you have stock tracbar and it doesn't look off center in the factory hole. It HAS to be. Do you have a picture of the Jeep head on? and from the side?

33" tires?

I'm still trying to figure out how you have stock tracbar and it doesn't look off center in the factory hole.

The end links agree with you.

OP, can we get a pic of the transfer case?
Your rear shaft looks stock, don't see a slip joint in it, which probably means you haven't eliminated the transfer case slip yoke. That would probably be my next step in an automatic over 4" of lift, before going higher. You might have some crossmember lowering blocks in there you need to ditch when you redo the output of the case.
The adjustable lowers work at 4", although there was just a 7 page thread about how only having adjustable lowers is worse than riding shotgun with jerry sandusky.
Lager bottles FTW!

Last edited:
do u mean a shot from the front showing the side to see the camber or just a flat side shot? cause its sittin outside and i can go take a pic of it

Ive been checking out a hack n tap sye kit from Iron Rock Offroad

any input on them?

I mean full on frontal shot of the entire Jeep and a complete side shot of the entire Jeep.

Go take both drive shafts out and drive around the block and see if it vibrates.

well i live on base in the barracks so its not that easy to take the shafts out.....but i can do it on the weekend

im looking to upgrade everything on the jeep, so i need some help on where to start......eventually im thinkin bout a 5.5 LA lift from IRO

I was thinking maybe a Rusty's or RC bar, since it still has a TRE. Teraflex LCAs?

Be interested to see if it has a Tcase drop or if anything at all has been done to address the DS angles.

In that case, start from scratch and replace everything.

What Jeremy said:

2. (with the assumption u want a reliable 5-6" lift)... drop pitman arm, adjustable track bar (ideally frame side heim or double shear), longer sway bar end links, coils (&/or spacers, adjustable spacer), shocks, brake lines, upper & lower CA's (if using short arms, use drop brackets) or LA's, SYE, longer rear driveshaft, ideally full leaf packs or combinations of add-a-leaf/extended shackles/relocation brackets...

well i do want to replace everything with strong components but i want to do it piece by piece

the first thing that needs to be fixed is the vibration then the rear axle is gettin upgraded

Back