• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Transfer Case/Transmission ? Issues!! Help Please :)

ambitious98xj

NAXJA Forum User
So, somethings going on with my transfer case or transmission, something w/ the 4wd. It is not seeming to disengage from 4wd, and is making a whining noise. I'm also sensing it catch and let go from the front drive, as it pulls me toward the right off and on. I'm also smelling what i think is a gear oil smell. I'm not seeing any leaks, and have tried driving it in reverse, forward, everything in every gear option. Does anyone have anything they could suggest? I don't wanna take it to the shop :( But it's very worriesome to me. I need my Jeep!
1998 4.0L XJ w/ AW4 Automatic, NP242 Transfer Case, and SelecTrac 4wd

Are you talking about 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, or 4Lo?

So, somethings going on with my transfer case or transmission, something w/ the 4wd. It is not seeming to disengage from 4wd
It's pretty easy to get the transfer case bound up such that it can't slide off. Basically the front and rear driveshafts are connected by a chain, with one side engaging and disengaging as you work the lever. Find a spot in a parking lot and try shifting while you go forwards and backwards, it will fully shift once the internal pressure is relaxed.

is making a whining noise
The whine is your front axle and is normal. In 2WD the front axle uses the coasting side of the gears (the wheels force the driveshaft to spin), but in 4WD the pressure is on the drive side of the gears (the driveshaft forces the wheels to turn). Since most people rarely use 4WD the coast side is usually broken in a lot better.

I'm also sensing it catch and let go from the front drive, as it pulls me toward the right off and on.
Are you using full-time or part-time? The nomenclature can be kind of confusing... part-time means you can only use it some of the time, full-time means you can use it all of the time. Part-time locks the front and rear driveshafts together at the same speed, and you should not use this mode on pavement (or on ice). The full-time mode engages a differential in the transfer case, so power is directed to the driveshaft that is spinning the fastest (usually the rear wheels when going straight, and the front wheels when turning).

Sometimes the full-time mode will make the front "kick" a little when driveline power moves up and everything changes from coast to drive (u-joints are loaded differently, etc).

If you feel it pulling to the right suddenly I would look at something else like tire pressure or brakes dragging or something else. The transfer case controls the driveshafts up to the axle, but does not determine how power is distributed inside the axle itself. If the car is jerking to the side for no reason, it's not the transfer case that's doing it.

I'm also smelling what i think is a gear oil smell.
Could be anything. Could be nothing. Check your fluids

Back