• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unseizing ACOS

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Any had any luck unseizing Adjustable Coil Over Spacrs? The adjustment ring on the passenger side of my jeep was tightened all the way in/up so that is had no extra adjustment (the driver side has the adjustment ring dialed out/down so that there is a gap between the adjustment ring and the base since that side was lower).

Even though it was dialed in overly tight it must have been enough to allow it to seize to the base ring and in place. I have tried everyhting I can think of and its in such a weird position its hard to get any leverage on it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

had this happen a few times on adjustable coilovers on my bimmers... honestley email the manufacturer, they will normall send you a new ring out immdiately. Use a dremel and cut the old ring off and screw the new one on

Question: Is there a possibility that PB-Blaster, or Kroil oil, and some tapping with a small hammer to wick the solvents will loosen up the issue?

The best penetrating lubricant is home made. Mix some acetone and a little ATF. It will penetrate when nothing else will.

thanks for the suggestions guys. I have tried penetrating oils and BFH. I am trying not to use heat as it will mess up the aluminum finish. I will give the acetone/atf a try

had this happen a few times on adjustable coilovers on my bimmers... honestley email the manufacturer, they will normall send you a new ring out immdiately. Use a dremel and cut the old ring off and screw the new one on

well the cheapos at JKS told me they would sell me a new ring for $40 but they werent gonna give me one....not even a discount.

damn... that really sucks, I've only Dealt with Bilstein, and Racelands but of the four suspensions i've set up i've had two rings fuse when cranked all the way down.

heat will remove the rings but on the cars i was also trying to save the aluminum finish, not sure why on a rig that you wheel you would care if the aluminum was a little brown tho

Why should they give give it to you? Do they work for free over there?

I would try an oil filter wrench, good luck.

It was in response to this comment:

"had this happen a few times on adjustable coilovers on my bimmers... honestley email the manufacturer, they will normally send you a new ring out immdiately"

Thought I might get lucky since some companies want to stand behind their products to build brand integrity.

Daystar sent me a complete bushing set for both rear springs FOR FREE after I had just one of them melt from the exhaust. Thought JKS might do the same.

damn... that really sucks, I've only Dealt with Bilstein, and Racelands but of the four suspensions i've set up i've had two rings fuse when cranked all the way down.

heat will remove the rings but on the cars i was also trying to save the aluminum finish, not sure why on a rig that you wheel you would care if the aluminum was a little brown tho

nah, its not a huge deal obviously but if I can avoid it....why not?

daystar sent you a replacement because theyve made a choice to put more effort into their warranty department, than R&D. their invest paid off, judging by your post praising them.

Im all for warrantys.... untill im paying for something twice, because they wanna keep you as a customer by sending you a free replacement when it breaks later.

Does the installation instructions specify what to lubricate the threads with during install? never install large threaded stuff without lube.... not if you want it to come off again later on. Galling, dis-similar metal corrosion, and downright ocean air corrosion are 3 main reasons.

nah, its not a huge deal obviously but if I can avoid it....why not?

because you apparently need to apply heat to get them off apparently?

Here's what I do to free the rings on the JKS ACOS.
Spray with penetrant.
Jack up front end, remove the wheel. Unbolt bottom of front shock, letting the front end drop more and taking more spring pressure off the ring.
The more pressure removed, the less friction and the easier the process is.
Remove the allen set screw.
Pound a flat-head screwdriver into the gap in the ring to open the gap up . Spray some more. Rotate ring.
Widening the gap increases the ID of the ring, making it much easier to rotate the ring. Works for me.

daystar sent you a replacement because theyve made a choice to put more effort into their warranty department, than R&D. their invest paid off, judging by your post praising them.

Im all for warrantys.... untill im paying for something twice, because they wanna keep you as a customer by sending you a free replacement when it breaks later.

Does the installation instructions specify what to lubricate the threads with during install? never install large threaded stuff without lube.... not if you want it to come off again later on. Galling, dis-similar metal corrosion, and downright ocean air corrosion are 3 main reasons.

because you apparently need to apply heat to get them off apparently?

not if I can help it, i am sure there are other ways..

Here's what I do to free the rings on the JKS ACOS.
Spray with penetrant.
Jack up front end, remove the wheel. Unbolt bottom of front shock, letting the front end drop more and taking more spring pressure off the ring.
The more pressure removed, the less friction and the easier the process is.
Remove the allen set screw.
Pound a flat-head screwdriver into the gap in the ring to open the gap up . Spray some more. Rotate ring.
Widening the gap increases the ID of the ring, making it much easier to rotate the ring. Works for me.

I tried spreading the ring, even with a hardened chisel for working with concrete and this thing won't budge. I will try to heat as a last resort if that doesn't work its getting cut off and replaced

Back