• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Dead!

91XJBUBBA

NAXJA Forum User
1990 4.0 4x4 Auto 182xxx miles. Last week I went out to start the jeep and the battery was dead, couldn't even jump it. My ground wire was trashed so I replaced it with a new battery. Went out this morning and no lights, no click not nothing. Battery is dead. Going to have the alternator tested, but is there anything else I should be looking at? Its not a daily driver maybe driven 20 miles on the new battery...Thanks for the help

you should be looking at a volt meter.... anything else is speculation with battery issues...

...could the battery be dead? sure! tell us how many volts youve got at the battery NOW, and how many running to continue.

I think if it's dying overnight you probably need an ammeter. You need to find out what is drawing current at rest. Get an ammeter and put it in series with one of the battery cables, get a reading, and if it's more than a few milliamps, start pulling fuses to see what's eating it. I'd start with the interior light/clock/radio memory fuse. Look for consumers that might not be visible, like an underhood light, glovebox light, lighted mirrors, etc., that might be enough to run down a good battery overnight.

Back