• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock front bumper replacement question..

hoodwink

NAXJA Forum User
So before I start taking this off, does anyone know what exactly i need?

I have the new metal bumper and end caps... do i just need the left side bracket? thanks in advance.

Hard to exactly tell from your picture given.., but my XJ had the same kind of damage to the front bumper when I bought it. Took the bumper off, separated a few parts, and beat them with a big hammer, on the concrete floor, and even used a 6" bench vise, pry bars, etc., in order to straighten parts, including the bumper. All in all, straightened out everything using the above alternating methods. Used OSPHO to protect the raw worked metal, primed, painted, and done. Your work should be less, since you only have a little piece, or two to deal with. Take your time, relax.

After one season of driving, and considering how easy the OEM bumper crushes in such minor instances, I ditched it for an ARB winch bull bumper for it's additional useages. However, you might want to consider a 'real' bumper, and there are plenty of styles, and offerings.., in fact there are those here at NAXJA who will offer to sell you one, either mass manufactured, or homemade. I think the OEM bumper is worthless, except if you are trying to keep the XJ absolutely stock for some future selling point.., i.e., an idea that is moot these days... I keep the OEM bumper in my ditch, lol, in case I decide to sell the present XJ for another one, and want to switch 'em out, (whatever the better bumper), keeping the ARB setup for the 'newer' XJ, etc.

If I remember correctly, lol, bit skeptical about that, lol, you will/could need a couple of jack stands, and a floor jack in order to assist in muscling major parts up/down, and all around. Also, while you are at it, you might want to consider a couple of $75.00 tow hooks.., although that will probably entail using some more hammering, prying, and maybe even some drilling.., as I found in trying to get the hook/parts to line up correctly after the incident damage like yours. Good luck, and take it easy.

Well.., lol.., I'm in my sixties, with a bad back, and many miles from you, lol. So, if there is a way to take a look see, look see, to see what shape the shape is in. You could even take a picture with a drop light illuminating the bumper bracket's shape, i.e., from one end to the other, so that others who have had similar experiences can advise you. My thinking is that you only have one severe bracket damage, i.e., bent, (accordianed), not twisted much. You will better ascertain the actual damage, and the call is yours as to whether you need one bracket, or two. There is a slight possibility that the structure that the mounts mount to are bent aside a smidge, but just looking at the external image, it looks so similar to what I had. I just beat things back into shape. NO $ spent, just time, and one would have to look very closely to see the remaining 'crimp'(s). The only difference between your bumper, and mine was that I did not have those sort-of push bumperetts. Hence, my bumper was not only bent in, but twisted upwards to about a 30 degree angle at the side wrap-around piece. When I went to add the 2 recovery hooks, with their extended brackets, I had a few issues getting them, and the bumper brackets to marry, or sandwhich properly, i.e., had to drill some, to clean/widen the existing holes which were off of the OEM xyz axises of the factory holes.., to varying fractions of an inch, this way, and that. Little pry-bar work too. Took around a day's work to get it all close to perfection. You have it easy with a new bumper, and after the hassle of removing all the appropriate fasteners, most likely you will only be required to straighten one bumper bracket. LOL.., if you are lucky! Good Luck!

At the least you need a new bumper and maybe 2 new brackets. The brackets are easily straightened. I'd just go to a yard and grab an intact bumper, remove 6 bolts, put the bumper on, replace 6 bolts and drive. Might take 30 minutes... Assuming the "frame horn" isn't bent.

Greets speed reader.., he has a new bumper. You, like me, are encouraging the process, one that has to fit within uncertain variables, lol, given limited information. That XJ by your 'handle' looks like it can handle almost anything in it's way, btw. Oh well, I can always dream, but my DD will only remain modestly capable. Happy Trails all.

Finally getting around to fixing this thing.. ordered a new left side bracket and looking at where it goes i've discovered a few things:

The bracket thats on there now is folded over (good thing i have a replacemet)

My biggest concern/issue is that where the bracket bolts to the unibody/c-channel/frame end part is caved in towards the right side.

Question is, can i bang it straight with something going in from the inside out? Or use a dent puller?

right side just for comparison..

9bapzd.jpg

Left side, whole thing bent in..

ily7uo.jpg

and bent to the right..

2rwlphy.jpg

My son recently bashed his Cherokee into a telephone pole (dumb ass kid)... I basically just got done replacing the whole front of the Jeep including the bumper and brackets. He made impact on the passenger side, and destroyed the bracket while completely bending the mating flange in toward the vehicle. I had to heat up the flange red hot and bash it out as close as possible to the original position. Unfortunately, while it was fairly close to original location it wasn't quite right. I eventually ended up using quite a few washers on the passenger side bracket/bumper to get it positioned correctly. It looks fine now, nobody would be the wiser. You may find that you need to do something similar, if you cant get the mating flange back to the original location.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking.. Heat it up and "finesse" it back ha! Only thing that is gonna be a PITA is how close the p/s box is.. :(

Last edited:
Back