• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help/Advice

werewoulf3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i bought a jeep 2 weeks ago, says it came with a rough country 4.5 lift, its a cherokee with a 4.0, np231, D30/D35.......now the front has a bad vibration around 50mph......ive bought new u joints but dont want to put them on just yet.....i dont think it has a tdrop case or SYE on it(they r on the list to buy)......but im getting tired of the vibrations so i need to get it fixed.....should i start with ujoints and ball joints or what?

Number 2 is......while driving around at about 5-10mph i get a clunk sound from the front end......is that the front shaft ujoints?

ill attach pics either today or tomorrow so u guys can have a look

How do you know the high speed vibration is the front? With 4.5" lift and no t-case drop or SYE, I would suspect the rear driveline, if it's truely a vibration and not a wobble. If you feel the steering wheel wobbling at high speeds, I'd begin suspecting front end stuff...starting with wheel balance, then tie rod ends, track bar, etc.

The low speed clicking/clunking, if it's truely in the front end, could be axle u-joints. When does it make the noise? going straight? turning?

More information is always useful. Does your front axle have the vac disconnect on the passenger side? Year?

Post up more details...something we can go on.

im not sure if it has a vac disconnect line, and its a 98.....i know it happens when going straight but im not sure if it happens while turning.....ill check and post back

Ive bought u joints and just havent installed them because i dont want to put them in if the old ones are good......but it does shake the stering wheel and the seat......ill go get an alignment and wheel balance and see what it does......what should i look for on the track bar?

now the front has a bad vibration around 50mph

..while driving around at about 5-10mph I get a clunk sound from the front end......is that the front shaft u-joints?

Check the front axle's pinion angle and u-joint condition.
The u-joint should be straight (FSM specs within 1 degree). From personal experience I can tell you that a few degrees of mis-alignment will cause vibes. Use the LCA shoe or adjustable CAs to adjust the pinion angle.
According to the FSM, pinion angle has priority over caster adjustment.

Bad front axle u-joints are usually most noticeable when making hard turns.
There are dozens of other things that can cause clunks.
Finding and fixing noises is what owning an XJ is all about, good luck!

dscn2712j.jpg

By werewoulf3 at 2011-11-13
dscn2710t.jpg

dscn2709g.jpg

dscn2708e.jpg

dscn2707u.jpg

dscn2706qw.jpg