• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Drivers door handle

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever replace a inner door handle? Looks like the plastic pieces are plastic welded together.The upper rod clip is broken and I'm trying to swap it out with another I have.

Yes, the handle assembly is heat staked to the panel. Of course, the Jeep folks would have you cut off the melted-on stakes, and mash down the stakes on a brand new handle. If you're reusing a handle, you'll have to come up with something else, assuming that the stakes are now too short to restake. I haven't had one of these apart, but my best guess is that you might be able to drill tiny holes in the posts of your replacement handles, and use correspondingly small screws in place of the melted-over ends. Otherwise, you may have either to try restaking what's left, or using some kind of cement or adhesive.

Thanks...I didn't know if you could buy replacement handles that's why I'm messing with these.The PO tried gluing up the panels..crappy job.Got a set of new panels from a guy on the Board but the upper rid clip is busted off so I was trying to swap the handles.

If you have some spare bits you can play with, you might experiment with PVC pipe welding adhesive or something similar. It's possible that the plastic in question will respond to that. If you dab some on and it softens the area noticeably, it will probably work. You could then just goop some of that on the posts of the handle assembly and stick it into the panel, hoping for a bond.

I've got some in the garage....they want like 52 bucks for a new handle assembly..what a rip off...Im gonna try pulling it apart..Ive got like 2 spares to try and make one whole panel...

Back