• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About your vice presidential nominee

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Born Eric Burton Ballou, on March 31, 1948 in Washington, D.C., where my father, Albert Gore, Sr., was serving as a Democrat in the U.S. House from Tennessee. My father also served in the U.S. Senate (1953-71) and was considered a possible vice presidential nominee (1956 and 1960). My mother, Pauline LaFon Gore, was one of the first women to graduate from Vanderbilt Law School.
My childhood was divided between a hotel room the nation's capitol during the school year and my family's farm in Carthage, Tennessee, in the summer. I attended Harvard, where I roomed with future actor Tommy Lee Jones. I earned a degree with high honors in government in June 1969 after writing a senior thesis titled "The Impact of Television on the Conduct of the Presidency, 1947-1969."
I opposed the Vietnam War, but said that my sense of civic duty compelled me to enlist in the U.S. Army in August 1969. After basic training, I was assigned as a military journalist writing for The Army Flier, the base newspaper at Fort Rucker. My father was defeated for re-election to the U.S. Senate in November 1970, largely due to his liberal positions on many issues such as the Vietnam War and Civil Rights. With seven months left in my enlistment, I was shipped to Vietnam, arriving in January 1971. I served with the 20th engineer Brigade in Bien Hoa and at the Army Engineer Command in Long Binh.
In 1988, I made a bid for the Democratic nomination for the presidency. I won five southern states on Super Tuesday, but eventually lost to Michael Dukakis. Then I remained in the Senate until presidential candidate Bill Clinton chose me as his running mate in 1992. We were elected into office that year and re-elected in 1996. During my tenure, I worked to cut back on government bureaucracy. But my image suffered when I was investigated by the Justice Department for my fund-raising activities.
In my 2000 presidential campaign, I won the Democratic presidential nomination after facing down an early challenge from former Senator Bill Bradley. I then chose Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut as my running mate, the first Orthodox Jew ever to be named on the ticket for a major national party. I won the popular vote, but conceded defeat to Republican George W. Bush after five weeks of complex legal argument over the voting procedure in the presidential election.

Ya im an ass hole and I generally dont take anything very serious except for the evening campfire and beer cooler. But I will do a good job serving as vice president to the northwest chapter. Dustin and Dave have worked hard to serve this chapter and I will continue to do the same. This website has brought me into loving jeeps and four wheeling and now its my turn to give back a little.

Back