• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ vacuum canister?

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have the well-known vacuum leak, and rather than spend hours tracking it I'm just going to replace all the hoses. While doing so, I'm also going to move the canister to make room for a winch bumper (hopefully to be mine soon). I've read a bunch of threads on where to put it. Most people seem to put theirs in the engine compartment, but I have some Other Plans for several of the usual spaces, so I'm trying to think more outside the box.

In looking around, I saw on another forum where a guy had used a rectangular canister off a TJ, and mounted it flat on the lower, uh, facing of the front clip, whatever you call that. I'm wondering if anyone else here has used a TJ canister and if so where did you put it? Does it have enough room for the XJ vac system? I do NOT have cruise, so if I am reading correctly, it's only affecting my heater/ac door shifting (hahaha really affecting it).

Also two other questions: How did you fab your custom mounts, and what the heck size & type tubing do I need to go get from the parts store? I know, most of you say "cut a piece off & take it with you" but I'm a lousy eyeballer and I don't trust the idiots at the store counter. Also I'm betting that there are some kinds that are better/last longer than others. I prefer to do it right the first time. Thanks y'all.

its not rocket science...

put the canister where you feel itll be out of the way. and canister type isnt important, as long as it seals and creates a vacuum. ive heard of a couple people just sealing off the line. as for tubing, again, not rocket science. maybe get something with a decent temp rating to survive engine heat. but the tubing in your '98 has been there over 10 years. what ever you get will probably last just as long. as far as size, grab some calipers and measure.

Back