• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install OEM UCA bushing into seized bushing sleeve?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
I've encountered the problem of UCA front bushing sleeves seized in the axle brackets. Sleeveless poly bushings sound great, but I'm only seeing them as part of a kit. I need only 2 bushings - the front uppers. Others are already replaced.

Removing the existing sleeves in the brackets is not happening. No problems removing old rubber and cleaning/polishing though.

Is it possible to just carefully remove the sleeve (Dremel?) off an OEM style bushing and install into existing sleeve? I don't know if or how well they're bonded to the rubber.

(97 XJ)

Do you have a sawzall? Cut a slit into the outer sleeve and it will pop right out

I sure do, but they're really seized in there. Every nut and bolt has been torched off so far, every bolt sleeve seized to it's bolt. This XJ has seen 15 Ohio and New York winters.

I'm afraid that if I make that cut, I'm committed. What's the success rate on this for such a rust-bucket as mine?

Or use an airchisel and dimple the sleeve like a bottlecap, once you get a few good dents in it, it will fold in on itself and come right out.

Alright, I'll pull the trigger on this. Every nut and bolt on this thing has been the absolute worst case scenario (replacing whole suspension). I'll report back for the sake of other NAXJA users. Pay it forward. Thanks guys!

That's the exact same thing I did. Cut out the bushing with a hole saw and then use a sawzall to cut a slit in the sleeve. Then a few whack with the hammer and out it came. What a pain!

Back