• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to normal brakes

TWSTDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ Limited which means it has things I did not want but the price was right.

My biggest issue is the ABS system it uses is trash IMO. Once upon a time I thought I saw a thread about going to conventional brakes. NOW that I need / want conventional brakes, I can not find the thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANK, Rick

unplug the fuse....

too much work to just remove abs. i just took out the fuse. if you really wanna modify it you could try beating the controller w/ a hammer lol. and if you want to remove the module because you hear the snorkels will not fit because of the location of the abs module and the ecu, they are wrong. i made one work. be creative my friend

DO NOT just unplug the fuse on a '90 XJ. The Bendix system uses an electric pump to create high pressure to push fluid through the lines.

No fuse means no pump, means no brakes.

Search for bendix brake removal, or '95-'96 dual diapraghm brake booster upgrade. You'll need to redo some lines, a '95-'96 brake booster, and possibly the brake pedal from the donor vehicle since you have ABS.

unplug the fuse....
Not the same as later models

too much work to just remove abs. i just took out the fuse. if you really wanna modify it you could try beating the controller w/ a hammer lol. and if you want to remove the module because you hear the snorkels will not fit because of the location of the abs module and the ecu, they are wrong. i made one work. be creative my friend

That is just terrible advice. It is never too much work to remove something that could potentially kill you (Ya, the Bendix system if it fails leaves you with no brakes). The only snorkel that says it doesn't work with later model ABS is the Airflow, and it is because the inlet comes out directly where the ABS module is. Can't get around it unless you completely move it. And a "hammer" is the worst tool for the job, or for working on a safety system.

Last edited:
Back