• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are they all this clunky?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I've had one noise, vibration or rattle or another the entire time I've owned this XJ, a few years now, and it has never not even for a day been "correct". Modified or not, there has always been something wrong it seems. Is this how Jeeps are, or do I need to pony up and replace everything at once, or weld the TB mount to the body or What? Seriously wishing I'd bought a 4runner...

It's a Jeep thing. Most of mine have gone away. The ones currently are minor not-so-important things.

Agreed, that it's a Jeep thing. Mine creeks & grones at me. But than I take a customers XJ for a test drive & realize mine is better than most.

HAHA mine makes so many noises I have a classification system

Seriously though, cars get louder as they get older. Part of it is increased noise but another big part is loss of sound deadening effectiveness. My 85 Cadillac has a lot of road noise, mostly because the weatherstripping doesn't work as well.

Last edited:
Buy a 4Runner...better yet a Rav4. No one has ever had any problems with those.
no I heard of a guy once who had a rattle in his 4runner... couldn't track the noise down, then finally he saw it was the change in his cup holder.... bought a dr. Pepper big gulp with it, now its as quiet as a new caddi... but it was a noisy couple of weeks though..

Maybe part of the problem is I work on Volvos and Lexus' for the most part... my Jeep is *never* going to feel like the cars I test drive at work all day.

Will be replacing track bar, tack welding bracket to frame & replacing all 4 shocks soon, as well as going to smaller tires & losing the wheel spacers. Hoping for a miracle, here, but at least I feel better it isn't just my rig.

EVERYTHING in a vehicle loosens up and starts creaking and vibrating after a long enough time... if you pulled it apart completely, repainted everything, checked for cracks everywhere and then replaced all the rubber seals and bushings and reassembled with proper torque specs it should go back to near-factory "quiet." My parent's old minivans sounded like jeeps by the time they got scrapped, and they were pretty darn quiet when they first got them.

... hmmm it was a plymouth and a dodge... maybe it's just chrysler products that do this :roflmao:

After a 100% suspension bushing swap, my XJ is finally noise and creak free. It has never driven or sounded better. I imagine it will return to "normal" after the next trail ride.

I get worried when mine stops making noises.

its not just a jeep thing, my '03 tacoma has plenty of moans and groans @200,000 miles. any vehicle that gets used or even sits out in the weather is going to "age"

yeah... that means something fell off! :shocked:

Is this how Jeeps are, or do I need to pony up and replace everything at once, or weld the TB mount to the body or What?
Yes, Yes, and.. Yes..

I've done all of these in the last 5 months and my jeep is louder then it's ever been..

People seem to get worried when riding with me because of all the creeks and bangs. Especially when my dashboard makes a popping sound over certain bumps. The dashboard popping isn't often but when it happens it sounds like something just broke. To the trained ear though it is obviously just plastic creaking around. I read here someone said it should be common practice to loosen the dashboard hardware and retighten just to compensate for years of flexing.

Back