• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak?

tnjeff

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
This is a 96 xj, 183,000 miles. Today I noticed an oily substance on the body behind the wheel. Looking further, there's about a 4 inch wide strip of the same around the inside of the fender from front to back. I do have a little leak at the rear main seal and a little weeping at the filter mount but I can't figure out where this is coming from. The only thing I haven't checked is the trans fluid but I can't see anything amiss under the jeep. All the other fluids look good. I thought it might be from the rear main seal but it's just in the wheel well? Has anyone ever seen this or know what it might be?
Thanks,
Jeff

oil.jpg

wheelwell-front.jpg

De-grease it good and drive it. Watch carefully to see where it first starts to pile up again.

Only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the passenger side axle seal is shot and you're losing gear oil from the front diff. Notice anything wet around the knuckle, behind the front wheel on that side?

Sorry, should have mentioned it's 2wd. Yeah, I'll get the flashlight out in the morning and give it a better look. Kind of weird.

Really not all that weird. The axle seal on a 2wd is a simple job.

Brakes, axle seal, come to mind. Not RMS. RMS, Oil Filter Adapter, Valve cover would be aft of engine and maybe slung about inside the engine bay, but not JUST in the wheel well area.

My 64 C-10 2wd Chevy P/U has shown signs of either an axle seal or a front brake cyliner leak (yes, front drums) that look just like your pic. Take Cruiser54's advice and do some noggin poking. Look at the inside of the wheel and see if there is "oil" slung around in a circular pattern. Follow the circle.

I think the seal and bearing will run you ~~$15 total.

Drove through something on the road??

This must be it. Can't imagine what it would have been. I spent some time under the front end and can't find anything leaky. There was just so much of it.

Thanks

Back