• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pattern for seat covers

redyakfly

NAXJA Forum User
Searched but could not find,

I have a 2000 limited with leather and I want to make some covers that match my new headliner I just put in ( realtree camo cordura material). I have the material and mother in law that can sew but she needs a pattern and I dont want to take off the leather to make a pattern. Anyone have a pattern or directions on to give her the measurements?

Thank you

Why don't you just buy the cabela's camo seat covers? I actually think they're realtree pattern and they aren't that expensive. I have them on my 90 XJ over the limited leather seats. They are a bit loose, but actually last a long time.

Really? Hmmm.., Well, 'er, ah.., perfect fit 'eh? Suggest you go to a junk yard, and rip out some old funky smelly seats, and/or covers, and take 'em apart to utilize as 'patterns'. If you do not want to do that, or have no access to a junk yard, then the next best way to do it, (imho), is to take some measurements, and transfer those numbers, into a drawn-out 'picture' of each section of each seat, onto craft paper, butcher paper, news paper, etc. Then take a pair of sissors, and cut out your drawing of the part of the seat you are copying, take it back to your seat, verify. If too short, small, not correct, etc., add either bits of more paper, with scotch tape, or other generic branding, and make the copy attempt 'mo perfect. Once you have accumulated all the different little pieces to just one seat, you will want to take a clean large sheet of paper, place all the little sections onto that large piece of paper, and draw lines around each little piece of paper, so as to make 'duplicates' of the little pieces onto the large piece. Once drawn, remove the little pieces of paper from the large piece of paper. THEN, you must add an additional line drawing, a 1/4", or 3/8" around all of all those little drawings, i.e., of the little pieces, which will be your 'hem ' lines. So what you have now, i.e., are little pieces drawn onto a large sheet of paper.., and each little piece has two lines in parallel to one another. This is important as most people who sew require specific instructions, and guidlines to follow with their machines. Where ever you indicate on the large piece of paper, written notes, i.e., 'Here is a curved piece running 90 degrees from this end to that end--with arrows', directing the person to take that into consideration.., (they may at their option, further cut the chosen material with a zig-zag pair of sissors, in order to prevent bunching within the curved area over say the edge corner of a seat, or the edged corner of the seat back, etc.). Back to proceedure: After you have all your double lined pictures/patterns drawn onto that large piece of paper, roll it up and give it to your sewing expert. What they will do is to cut out each piece of drawn drawings, and transfer them individually to a piece of cloth, using many push pins to attach the cut out drawings to a piece of cloth. Said person will then cut out the individual pieces of drawings on cloth, (some have different methods of transferrings), but the end result is that they will begin to attach each little piece to each little piece, i.e., sending two separate pieces, again using push pins, ie., now push pinned together in order to utilize the two hems, overlapped, etc., feeding those two pieces into the machines needle. This will go on, and on, and on, and on until complete. In order to gain a perfect fit, there could be an advantage of taking the completed seat cover, and somewheres adding either a split, here, and there, and adding the male, and female sides of NASA's Velcro strips, or a YYK zipper. If you wish to have a piece of material, i.e., a long double lengthed piece to cover the velcro, or zipper seamed area, then you have just complicated this whole task beyond the comprehension of most people on the planet, well, in the dumbed down first world portions, that is...

If it is all possible, get the Cabella's covers, put 'em on, and take the vehicle to your sewing person, and together with a 'magic marker', or some generic brand, and make appropriate 'corrections' in order to tighten it all up.., i.e., including the possible inclusion of the velcro, or zipper idea. JUST MY 2c.

Oh, did you know that it costs us, the taxpayers 1.6 cents to make a penny. Did you know that what we call pennies, are not pennies? Look at one, do you see the word penny anywhere on one? Penny's are totally an English trip. We have CENTS. So to be accurate, did you know that to make one cent, it costs "WE THE PEOPLE", I mean, 'WE THE TAXPAYERS", 1.6 cents to make a single cent? IF we were to have the Godless commie red army chinese slave masters force their 2 dollar a day slaves to make our cents, that we could thusly have them make them for far less, and thus make a profit? The logic here is that Cabella's has seat covers for less then for what they would cost to be Made in Mexico, or Canada, or the U.S.A. Does your mother-in-law belong to the "Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review, and Timing Association"? If so, you may want to verify the going rates.:eyes: IF it is a free job, lol, and there are no strings attached, lol, then go for it, and good luck.

Sacrificing a junkyard seat of the same design is your best bet, IMO. There may be patterns out there, but I've never seen any.

Tension.., nah! Hey, you could e-mail Chrysler Corp., or send them a snail mail letter with your special request. Ask 'em where the seat covers were made.., probably a little manufacturing outfit around Toledo, etc., and with that information write that outfit, and ask for them to supply you with a pattern.

Really? Hmmm.., Well, 'er, ah.., perfect fit 'eh? Suggest you go to a junk yard, and rip out some old funky smelly seats, and/or covers, and take 'em apart to utilize as 'patterns'...

Early winter up there?

Good description of pattern making. I have a lot of respect for those who make precision things from fabric. I have made and modified a lot of my outdoor gear through the years but none of it is pretty. Darn fabric changes shape if not pinned down correctly.
I prefer to work with wood and metal, things that retain their shapea little better.

I was actually just about to do this:wave:. Except I'm taking the material completely off my seats, ripping the seams, making a pattern, sewing up the covers and installing. I must say, I love that my dad's upholstry shop is in our garage:gee:!

I was actually just about to do this:wave:. Except I'm taking the material completely off my seats, ripping the seams, making a pattern, sewing up the covers and installing. I must say, I love that my dad's upholstry shop is in our garage:gee:!

Well then I elect you to be the person who makes a pattern and uploads it for everyone to use!

Please post your progress.

Back