• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

probably a battery issue?

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
Heres what I know:
Sunday I drained the battery, needed a jump start.
Monday/Tuesday were fine.
Wednesday was a weak crank
Thursday I needed a jump again.

The voltage in my dash reads just about 14 (and has for the last couple years) so I'm guessing its not my alternator failing to charge,

The thing that confuses me is at low idle, it tries to stall out right now unless I give it some gas- how is that electrically related?

The ECM needs power at the right voltage, in a steady supply, to function correctly.

The battery may have enough power to start the engine, but may not be good enough to keep the ECM happy.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery and alternator Load Tested at the auto parts store.

Bad running with a bad battery is typical of Jeeps and of many other fuel injected cars, especially, it seems, with Mopar electronics. Especially right after a boost, if the battery isn't taking a charge well, it fails to filter the output of the alternator, and the electronics see the "chopped" or intermittent DC from the alternator instead of the steady output of the battery. At least that's the explanation I've heard of this.

Back