• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid keyless entry causing taillights to not work...

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I Bought 01 with an aftermarket keyless / remote start. I wasn't thrilled about It , but rest of jeep was nice. Anyways the lights flashed when I locked it , while installing rear lift I saw a loose wire hanging so I capped it. Now I have now brake lights and the lights don't flash. I see now that it was spliced into tail light wires . But I don't know where it goes to make my brake lights work again. Maybe it was a ground ? It's the solid green one.

75510d1320887623t-any-one-know-about-keyless-entry-lights-flashing-image-1009680484.jpg

Last edited:
Does the Jeep have a trailer hitch? It would be more logical for that wire to be going to an adapter for a trailer hitch.

Besides that, that wire is going to your blinkers, and reattaching that anywhere is not going to make your tail lights work again. Something else is going on besides that wire.

Yes trailer hitch mikes sense now that you mention it, it had a new hitch on it and the guy I bought it from said he towed a trailer first time moving to FL. When I lifted the rear I found this wire loose sitting in between the gas tank and gas skid. The brake lights worked and all lights flash before I just put a cap on it. It is tapped into the harness with that blue connecter and then is just long enough to reach a trailer wire. I will go home and check all fuses tonight and hope that is the issue. The actually fuse for the brake lights was the only one I checked and it was fine, but maybe it tripped another one. Thank guys I'll keep ya posted.

Judging form the pictures it looks like the wire is DG/RD, which would be the positive for the right turn signal lamp. I would remove that wire all together. But do your turn signals work?

For the brake/parking lights check fuse 23 in the PDC for the brake lights and fuse 7

Yes the turn signals/flashers work. I checked 23 it was good. & (tag,turn, tail) was blown oddly. I will check them all tonight. If I remove it all together, should I cut the stock wire and re soder it where that blue T top is spliced in? thansk

That blue T can be pulled apart and removed without damaging the wire. However, after you remove it you can check the wire to see if the T didn't damage it in the first place. I hate those things.

rip the craptastic trailer wiring out of the jeep and buy the harness that plugs inline with the factory wiring, looks like a large T. no cutting or splicing, willing to bet your trailer harness is shorted and thats what blew the fuse. has nothing to do with your keyless/remote start, as all wiring for that will be done under the dash, at the light switch, and under the steering column

thanks guys, can't wait to get home and try and fix this. i don't plan on towing with the XJ as I have a truck for that. I just want my tails back! Seeing as the keyless still work, all sings point to blown fuse from that splicer flapping around.

All the fuses inside and out were ok except for that #7 I replaced yesterday. Took the T top off the harness, only looks like it chopped the casing a little , I can barely see copper in spot, but I put electrical tape around it.

6gd029.jpg

My other thought of a cause is near the pedal I have this tiny purple wire rigged into the switch doesn't look OEM and there is this little black switch to left also that may or may not be related. This is a new switch and I replaced the bulbs. Some how everything was fine until I saw that dang green wire and decided to me safe and cap it *shrug*

2m49a38.jpg

I don't care when I'm in the Jeep alone but really don;t want to get re eneded with my son and pregnant wife in there. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for checking, still no lights. I went to a yard a grabbed a few brake switches and tried them just in case. My buddy came over and check fuses, the bulb connectors, and the switch, said all had power. I am out of guesses....

Some guys told me to check the grounds, but electrical is not my strong area. Does any one know what exactly I would check?

Back