• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disks for a 9in

03ghosthemi

NAXJA Forum User
Im starting the build up for my hp44 and 9in that I grabbed out of a 77 F150. My 9in did not have the brakes on it so I figured that I would just run a disk set up. Ive read that some people have run the disk off of an 8.8 but that they will only work on certain year 9in. I never saw a clear list of what years will work or why some years dont. I have an 8.8 with disks that I could grab the brakes off of if it would work. Could somebody shed some light on this. I would rather just sell the 8.8 with out having to pull it apart and then put it back together.

Thanks

Aftermarket setups about - start checking there with Wilwood and Baer.

As far as OEM take-offs, I'd check with early 1980's Lincoln pax and maybe Ford/Mercury full-size pax of similar vintage. I know the 9" was used through the early 1980's in passenger cars (it was dropped in pax first, later trucks. I think it hung around about as the Cleveland Six - which was used through about 1986 in light truck apps.)

Thanks for the responses guys. I've looked into many kits/bracket kits through NAXJA sponsors but I still need to have an emergency brake setup and that was one of the reasons I was looking into the 8.8 stuff seeing that I already have one and have heard mixed reviews on the Caddy calipers with the ebrake in them.
Thanks
Bill

I made my own brackets and used the following:

Ford 9" Brake Parts

Rotors:
31188 PT-20TAC
AX31188 = $23.95 each @ SummitRacing
Raybestos 96612
Wagner 126215
Bendix 145123

Pads:
AXMD154
Bendix MKD154

Calipers:
1980 Buick Riviera
A-1 Cardone 100-184129 = $58.95 each @ SummitRacing

Wheel Bearings/Seals:
Timken Set20 or National A20
National - A20 = $50 each approx.
Timken - Set20*
*Matching Seal for Set20 is #3195 (Timken)
Napa #18881 Wheel Seal =$20 each approx.

The brakes work excellent and no proportioning valve was required. HTH
-Boom

I did disk brakes on my 9" for about $200, using all new parts-store parts.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=48913

I did have to have my brand new rotors turned down a little, to get the new calipers and pads to fit over them. I also had to plasma a little access hole in the mounting area of the rotor for a socket to pass through to tighten the bearing retainer bolts.

Thanks guys! I will look into those options.

Bill

If your 9" has the "Torino" large bearings ends then explorer 8.8 brakes bolt right up.
Coppied off the web:

A small bearing housing can be differentiated from a large bearing housing by the size of the nuts and thread used to retain the brake backing plates to the housing, the small bearing housings use 9/16 socket size nuts with 3/8” fine thread, while the larger bearing use 3/4” socket size and 1/2” fine thread.

When I built my 8.8 I replaced everything from the backing plates out. The backing plates w/ ebrakes are insanely expensive at the dealer and parts store.
I bought mine from currie and they were approx $200 bucks for both. Some cheap parts store pads and calipers and you can have all new disk brakes pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks jonzer12! I will check out my 9in when I get home. If they will work it will save me some money for the other things. My 8.8 is complete and has fairly new pads and rotors on it from when I got it .
Thanks guys.

Bill

Back