• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire question. at or mt?

dfarmxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to order a set of 31x10.5 tires from treadwright. I've never had to pick off road tires before (im pretty much a wheeling noob) and im wondering if I should go for their at tire (looks like bfg at) or their mt tire (think Goodyear mtr)

My xj has about 5" of lift and sees about 90% dd duties and 10% hunting and playing off road. Im mostly concerned with how they will act on the road in the snow and of course off road. Off road to me is going to be mostly Elbe hills.

Which kind of tires would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Yeah I'd say at also. And I've known a couple people with treadwright tires and they were all pleased. And affordable to boot

X3 A/T tires. Your ratio and experience offroad you would be unhappy with mts

If I start going wheeling more, am I going to be upset that I got the AT's, or do they still do ok in the mud/slush?

I do plan on wheeling more, as I just got the jeep set up, and its pretty much my first vehicle that is built/being built to go off road, but at the same time, it is used to haul the family around more than actual "wheeling" (trails in the orv park, I haven't actually done this at all yet, aside from playing around in the "bowl" @the end of the main road through Elbe hills orv park) but I do use it most weekends to go cruse forest service roads and the like.

If it helps, my plans for the vehicle are; no bigger than 33" tires, (but I think I'll be happy with 31") probably a lunchbox locker in the back 29sp 8.25,(I'd throw a spartain in the front in a week or two, but it seems like it may cause driveability problems in the snow on the road in 4x4, and I don't want to break the d30 any time soon) some kind of rocker protection/plating the "frame rails" and a decent set of bumpers.

The jeep already has; RC 4.5" lift,(lifted closer to 5.5") IRO adjustable upper arms, H&T SYE/front DS in back, front sway bar disconnects/ rear sway bar delete, and highway tires.

What will be some downsides of going with the MT tires? I am afraid of mud a bit, and want to get stuck as little as possible.LOL

Last edited:
IF you do 90% dd and 10% off road AND you are going to leave the tires stock then I would agree with the above posts to go with the AT style tire.

You will find that the MT will provide significantly more traction on the WET, MUD and Roots that we have here in the NW off road and if you are going to be spending time in those areas then the MT would serve you better there. The down side to the MT will be a couple of things, more tire wear on the road (less miles out of a set of tires and arguably maybe less mileage (minimal)). Less traction on wet and snow covered roads (this is fixable with siping).

I ran a similar re-tread years ago both on the road and off road and I siped the MT's when I got them and they were phenomenal. I would do the same again in a heart beat.

I vote get the MT's (maybe even a 33 with the lift you have) and sipe the center blocks well. This style of MT does reasonably well in the snow even without the siping. IF you had significantly more experience with an AT off road, my choice may not be the same.

HTH,
Michael

If you become a member I'll sell you my practically new 33x12.5r15 Dick Cepek Crushers on soft 8's for $700 and I'll toss in a new 33" spare. Pictures are in the for sale section.

At's make a good first tire, they might slip a little more in some situations but that helps you learn throttle control. Also the BGF AT tire tread is awesome in the snow and ice.

if you want me to go into detail i will just leaving for work gotta be quick. dont waste your $$ on a 31" tire if your on 5.5" pony up and go 33s right off the bat. id got with a cheper MT tire. seems like your looking for traction. maby the duratrac's

bronze.

ok, i'll bite. Why not go with 31's?

Mainly cause you'll eventually get the itch for bigger. Plus, they're not really thaaaat much more expensive. They're much more capable. And I believe he was referring to how funny it will look at 5.5 and only 31's. Big lift and small tires is just a goofy look

5" is a lot of lift for 31s, its also a lot of lift for 33s. I would lower the lift and go with 31s, I would not run 33s without re-gearing.

I have 5 plus inch lift and 31's. Every one says mine looks good like this.
1871b4ee-9544-d5fe.jpg
1871b4ee-9558-3e2b.jpg
1871b4ee-956e-246d.jpg

I've had 32's and 33's on it and gone back to 31's because it looks better.

That's all a matter of opinion as you see. But I agree 5 is too much lift for 31's. I'll be running 33's on a bb. That's my plan.

Re gearing is definately not in the budget right now. I probably should have gone with a 3" lift, but the 4.5" is on there now, and 31's were the plan from day one, so, thats what I'm going to go with for now. If I find myself getting into situations where I am constantly needing the extra 1.5" under my axles, then I will have to re-assess the jeep.

yes. 31" and a 4.5/5.5 is imo too much. a 31" tire doesent give you much more ground clearance than stock. because you said your wanting to wheel it more and more. just go with the 33's they will be much more capeable than a 31. im on a 3" and 31's. i have been verry sucessfull at following the croud. but i did start wheeling on 33's and a 5" with a 5sp. so i have exp on both setups and the xj. ATs ar alright. ive seen them do well in all conditions. speaking from exp the mt is where traction is at. if you guna be in the snow or mud get a set of wheels/tires. only run them when you plan to wheel or if the snow starts falling. then you wont have to worrie about tred life on the mts just run you "summer tires" works well for me. and BTW my 3" lift has sagged to more like 2" and i still can wheel the piss put of it on the 31's. Torx Ran the RE 5.5 kit and had 35s with some trim and bumpstop. its a prefrance thing is all im sayin.

its all based on YOUR needs. you just sounded to be in a simular decition point as i was when i got into all of this. i have gon back and forth sevral times.. now im looking at going with my 1st setup.just with a newer jeep. it has been a good way to burn up my bank acct the last couple years.i said duratrac's cuz there a hybred at/mt that ha great reviews. and are chep a hell

that is all
Bronze.

I have 31" mt's on my dd with the stock 3.55 gears and will be regearing to 4.10's as soon as possible. Any grade with a loaded vehicle and it's in 3rd or even 2nd gear. I would be extremely unhappy with 33's.

A set of AT's are going to last 30k to 50k miles. I don't know how many miles you drive but for me they would last 4 or 5 years. I can't even keep the same vehicle for that long, let alone a set of tires.

IMHO 33's are going to lead to lower gears sooner than 31's would and MT's will perform better offroad and make you feel a little better with the looks of your rig than AT's. Also, MT's on a daily driver in the Northwest should be siped.

Back