• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 oil change then valve noise......

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
I actually took my 1990 XJ with a 4.0 with 168K on it, to the dealer and had the oil changed on one of their specials. They used the factory oil filter, and oil pressure seem fine.

Let the car sit for a week or so, and it's been cold, then when I started it, the motor started to tick, like a valve noise. I am thinking....... motor issues.
After a bit of sitting at idle, the motor noise went away! It sounded like just one lifter/valve.... not a bunch of them ticking away........

I have been using a 10/40 dino oil, and my guess the dealer uses a Kendal blend. Is it possible the change of oil caused the motor to start to tick???

I will start her up later today, and see if it ticks again. Just want to make sure I don't have a issue....
Any thoughts........ ????????

Bob

i oudl get lifter tick now and then, i ran some marvel mystery oil through 500 miles before an oil change, and did a few hot oil changes (careful not to burn your hands!) to help get the junk out.
when the oil is nice and hot the sludge will flow out with the oil resulting in cleaner engine, less tick

Back