• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 trac lok swap

kjpeter

NAXJA Forum User
After searching through about 15 pages of threads I have not come up with an answer

Just wanted to get a general consensus from the NAXJA gods...

I installed a D44 from an 88 XJ in the back of my 01. I do not do a lot of wheeling but would like a little more traction when I do decide to play in the woods or feilds. My current setup in the D44 is stock 3.54 gears and an open diff.

My question is when I install the trac lok in the diff, do I also have to change the pinion depth? or would it be a straight swap with just carrier side shims for back lash adjustment?

I do not plan on swapping gears any time soon as eventually I want an HP D30 with 4.10's. At that time I will change the rear gears.

Should just require shimming the carrier, no pinion depth adjustment. I would buy setup bearings if you don't have some, they'll save you a lot of time.

BTW, have you considered a lunch-box? My spartan has been awesome.

Mainly because there will be a carrier difference between the current and the ultimate ratio as well...

That trac lok is a POS. they're basically useless. If you want a limited slip, get a detroit true trac. They are gear activated, not clutch, so no friction modifier in the fluid, doesn't wear out, and engages very well. As others have said, for even better traction in the woods, get a locker.

Back