• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limping a broken d30 gear set home?

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
This may belong in the off topic section but not too sure.

So last week I got water in my c8.25 and ate up the pinion bearing on the way home to the point of (what felt like) pieces of it getting crushed in the gears and locking it up fo a split second so I pulled my rear drive shaft and limped it home off the freeway in front wheel drive. I have yet to pull the cover and check it out.

So like any of us this is a blessing to build a new rear end, but im stuck on selection between a 9 and 8.8. I would like to go 8.8 and it will save me the time of building a 44 front but I would like to go with a 9/44 set up so I can have lock outs and that brings me to this thread.

For those of you that have blew up your Dana 30 ring gear or even shafts and did not have a spair shaft. How did you make it home?

And for the guys that haven't how would you plan to?

For time and cost reasons I much rather just build an 30/8.8 set up but if i smoke a ring gear or other internal issue in a non lock out front im not sure how to get it home.

if you mess up the gearset, pull the ring gear.

if you break a shaft. pull the shafts and use the broken stub shaft to hold the wheel bearing together and stuff a rag in the open axle tube

if you break a shaft. pull the shafts and use the broken stub shaft to hold the wheel bearing together and stuff a rag in the open axle tube
absolutely x2..

if you have problems internal to the diff, broken gear, carrier etc.. pull the axle shafts and driveshaft and run stub shafts..

i dont even carry spare shafts anymore.. just stub shafts (unless im on a long endeavor)

Problem solved. 45 minutes start to finish to pull the ring gear and reassemble with hand tools when my buddy and I had to do mine.

absolutely x2..

if you have problems internal to the diff, broken gear, carrier etc.. pull the axle shafts and driveshaft and run stub shafts..

i dont even carry spare shafts anymore.. just stub shafts (unless im on a long endeavor)

Don't even need to pull the driveshaft if you throw stubs in it.

I used to carry spares all the time though. Sucks if you break the first 10 minutes into the run.

Problem solved. 45 minutes start to finish to pull the ring gear and reassemble with hand tools when my buddy and I had to do mine.

Don't even need to pull the driveshaft if you throw stubs in it.

I used to carry spares all the time though. Sucks if you break the first 10 minutes into the run.
i've always pulled the driveshaft for fear of internal lock up and t-case interference? also dont want gear oil to get spun into the tubes

I actually carry 2wd hubs as my backup option.

sorry maybe im thick, but when you are talking about stub shafts, is that for the front???

the OP,s problem has the rear diff wasn't it?? , or are stub shafts available for the rear??

tell me more, this is the first ive heard of it

sorry maybe im thick, but when you are talking about stub shafts, is that for the front???

the OP,s problem has the rear diff wasn't it?? , or are stub shafts available for the rear??

tell me more, this is the first ive heard of it
This thread is about what to do if you damage a D30, which would be front.
Yes, he did mention damage to rear, but not asking about that.
Stub shafts would be for the front.

Back