• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First XJ.

89Jeepxjlaredeo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I just recently purchased my first XJ it is an 1989 Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L AW4 transmission and NP 242 transfer case. It has 125,000 MI on it. When i got it it had a small oil pan leak, was missing the passenger side rear vent window and the window looking into the cargo area.

List of items i have taken care of on it were Plugs and wires, Tires ,Brake Line replace on the driver rear , Oil pan repair and oil change and window repair.

I was wondering what kind of tips people had on owning and working on their renix era Jeeps

Thank you very Much

All depends on what you want to do, lol. Hey.., it's an '89! If you want to restore it--your list will probably be long. Here's a couple of tips. Introduce a new era set of headlights, with associated harness upgrade. Consider a brand new windshield for better night time clarity.., and hence, new blades. Consider new shocks, and steering stabilizer shock. Graphite your various key locks. LOL.., get an extra set of keys. Copy, and file away anything you can find on this site, links, etc., about trouble shooting RENIX. You might consider getting an extra ECU for it.., store it away wrapped in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, in multiple alternating layers, times 5, 6, or 7ish. (possible EMP protection).

Flyfisher, lol, well, you have 'free will' correct? An ounce of prevention, blah, blah, blah. BTW: EMP over your area could simply be a large meteor flying by, or a limited client rogue action when our pants are down. Have you ever read: "Unrestricted Warfare"? Google it. Comprehend 'False Flag' trips? What about that "Magic Bullet" anyway.., and what about the erosion of our nation by traitors within? PR person at our nearby base said it is 'expendable' to a tactical nuke strike. Guess that's why we have F-22's, i.e., they do not need much runway.., i.e., find a parking lot, and land. Bet they are EMP Protected!

BACK TO THREAD, lol: Don't forget to flush out your coolent fluids. Change out all your gear oils. Use proper grade oil for your climate. Change out all filters, i.e., oil, and air. Clean all your ground connections, and add better ground cables. Check your Dist. Cap, and Rotor. Make sure your wheels/tires are properly balanced. (goes a little ways towards preventing the notorious DEATH WOBBLE. In the event of death wobble, check out the subject at kevinsoffroad.com. I had it, and corrected it. Death wobble on an busy icy two lane road would not be fun! In short, get a notebook, make correction entries, noting fluid change dates, etc., so you can better maintain you new old XJ.

Back