• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

that annoying little pocket/cubby in the cargo area, and my solution to it

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
so this space has always annoyed me, and like many i wondered what it was for... there didnt appear to be any reason for it.
the grand cherokees come with a little net in this area, why not us too?

there are a few things you can buy to fill the space...
there is a tool box if you can find one used:

IMG_20110924_103856.jpg

there is a subwoofer enclosure (useless if you ask me...)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/74136_700.htm
51506-lg.jpg

51506-add1-lg.jpg

i wanted to store some small things there, like oil, flares maybe, you get the idea.
so i set out to make my own device to contain these items in that little pocket/cubby

first i removed the panel, there are about 5 or 6 screws, most are near the back then one near the back set, then lift the panel up and away from the window.

next i drilled 4 holes where i wanted the eye bolts to go. they are 3/16th eye bolts with the shortest thread i could get (i think 1.5 inches)
i used #8 washers with these eye bolts on both sides.

next i put the panel back in place and began stringing the net.

first i ran the outer loop through the bottom eyes and through 2 2" spring clips at the top so i can drop the net if i want to.
i left a lot of extra initially, and used 2 half hitches at the bottom to make it adjustable.

then i ran the horizontal ropes, this was a little tricky as the outer wanted to move around on me. again leave lots of extra on either end it is easy to cut later.

then i ran the vertical ropes, these tie onto each horizontal rope.

when it was all strung and how i wanted i pulled the knots tight with pliers, then cut the ends and melted them slightly with a lighter to finish it off...

supplies:
(4) 3/16th eye bolts (shortest length possible)
(8) #8 washers
(2) spring clips (i used 2 inch sized clips)
nylon rope i got green from the home improvement section i think it was 1/8th inch diameter.

cost was probably no more then 10$

it looks a lot better in person then the pictures i posted below...
maybe i will take some better ones tomorrow

392019_726442102444_40304619_35920052_898444830_n.jpg

380360_726442267114_40304619_35920056_935802085_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that works. I have to wonder why they didn't give you some sort of net or strap to keep things in that cubby in the first place. It could be useful, but really isn't.

Brilliant idea into reality! Really find your treatment of that almost useless zone not only functional, but attractive. Two birds with one stone. Good shot!

Had the same frustration of needing a place to secure some items, and decided to use that space via a different method of securing stuff. Drilled four holes, two above, and two below so as to insert the 'hook'-ends of two short bungee cords overlapping each other in a "X" design. This allows for me to store roof-rack rope, and etc., and lastly, a cross-bar-lug-nut wrenching tool, which also further secures those rather loose items.

Think I will do the same as you did, but next summer when I tear into that area, but I will still use the bungee cords, lastly, in order to secure the universal lug wrench. Btw: Above that area, I installed an official 'red-neck' rifle rack, (for two), into the rubber insulation around that quarter panel window. Instead of rifles, I placed one telescoping ice/snow/squegee, and one telescoping snow shovel there. (made in Canada.., they'are NAFTA approved, afterall):canada: Oh.., I like Canadian wheels, and tires, but the only place I've seen them is on "South Park". Figure that they would be the best to get for rock crawl'in.:twak:

I used that area to mount a small fire extinguisher.

That is a really great set up for that net. I had a bungee net, and just used the little plastic hooks on it to clip behind the panel, leaving the top open. I could keep a tow strap, wrenches for my CB antenna(theft magnet) and assorted straps and goodies.

I then cut it out and added a subwoofer box (real MDF, not that plastic crap) and just keep a small box of equip under the seat next to the amp. I like my tunes...

But really, What was that space intended for?! :doh:

I used the space to mount my Viair compressor. The recess keeps it protected somewhat as it doesn't project into the rear cargo area. It's convenient for airing up as a standard coiled air hose will reach all four tires from that location. It also is good for the compressor since it's not a 100% duty cycle and doesn't get heated up like it did when I had it mounted in the engine bay.

I do like your storage net set-up though...nicely done!

Back