• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Issues... Searched w/ no luck..

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
JEEP: 1999 w/ 145k AW4.

I tried searching but there are tons/tons of old threads to read though.

Jeep is throwing the P0740 code and i'm thinking bad TPS, NSS, or solenoid...

I did drain and fill the tranny with DEX III 4 times (just removed drain plug, added fluid... drove awhile.. did again, on and on)..

Issue is when shifting from Park to Drive it doesn't want to move... or very very slowly.. seems to be worse now that it's getting colder (30ish overnight).

I know very little about transmissions and don't have much time to deal with it so i'm going to take it to a local reputable trans shop. I just want to know what specifically I should ask them to look into.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I tried searching but there are tons/tons of old threads to read though.
So start reading!!!! LOL

:read:

so i'm going to take it to a local reputable trans shop.

"reputable trans shop" is an oxymoron, a legend, there is no such thing, IMHO!

Check for a blown TCU (Transmission Control Unit) FUSE first. Then, if needed, check the three solenoids. Also might try a pint of Trans-X additive, in case it is a gummed up valve body.

Have you tried manually shifting, using 1-2 gear?

Sounds like it might be low on fluid. Check when HOT, idling in neutral.

Chrysler products like to read ~1/2qt lower in neutral than in park. Checking fluid level when cold or in park will give false readings.

Trans fluid temp should be 160-180ish when checking.

Last edited:
So start reading!!!! LOL

:read:

"reputable trans shop" is an oxymoron, a legend, there is no such thing, IMHO!

Check for a blown TCU (Transmission Control Unit) FUSE first. Then, if needed, check the three solenoids. Also might try a pint of Trans-X additive, in case it is a gummed up valve body.

Have you tried manually shifting, using 1-2 gear?

I work for a reputable trans shop. Fix-in-a-bottle does nothing but waste money, determine the cause of failure and fix it right....unless, of course, you like throwing money away on band-aids.....

Going to a stealership or transmission shop is the best way I know of to throw away money, lots of money real fast!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The Jeep AW4 (at the least ones I have worked on), the dipstick is read with fluid hot in park on the front side of the dip stick, or fluid cold on the rear side of the dipstick, not in neutral.

And I have saved 10,000's of dollars over the last 30 years using snake oil, like Trans-X, ( andRestore (for engines), MMO for engines, Bars leaks for radiators) after the stealerships and Tranny shops failed 7 times in a row to properly fix a single transmission over a 12 month period on 4 year old Dodge Charger, which is one of the reasons I do all my own work now.

Last edited:
not moving is likely due to low oil

about P0740, I had it every other day, I knew the NSS was dodgy as it started sometimes in park, others not, and my reverse light never worked, cleaned out the NSS and boy what a difference! now it drives nice and smooth , before it was revving high and shifting hard, the NSS was not making contact in the DRIVE position, now that it works I wonder why it took me so long to take the NSS apart for cleaning

Uhhhh...getting back on topic here...

I have to wonder if maybe it's not going into first when you hit "D"...perhaps maybe it's jumping straight to 2nd or 3rd. I'll second the manual shifting technique. Might not hurt to unplug the TCU or remove it's fuse and try manually shifting gears. If that works, then you've narrowed it down to an electrical problem instead of a mechanical problem.

When you changed the fluid all those time did you ever replace the filter. I had old tranny fluid in and it would not shift into OD. Replaced the fluid and bam. I also had two different codes being throwen.

Thanks

Going to a stealership or transmission shop is the best way I know of to throw away money, lots of money real fast!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The Jeep AW4 (at the least ones I have worked on), the dipstick is read with fluid hot in park on the front side of the dip stick, or fluid cold on the rear side of the dipstick, not in neutral.

And I have saved 10,000's of dollars over the last 30 years using snake oil, like Trans-X, ( andRestore (for engines), MMO for engines, Bars leaks for radiators) after the stealerships and Tranny shops failed 7 times in a row to properly fix a single transmission over a 12 month period on 4 year old Dodge Charger, which is one of the reasons I do all my own work now.

I fail to see the point youre trying to prove with the link?

Im sorry youve had bad experiences with previous shops. Like i said, find a reputable shop and ask them for an opinion, not EVERYONE in the world is out to get you.

And fwiw, the shop i work at is a national chain of indepently owned/operated shops. The shop i work at is also currently in the top 5% of stores in csi. (close to 1500 stores nationwide)

Having said that, people are quick to get on the internet and bash a shop without trying to rectify the situation in a reasonable manner, and everyone on the internet looooves to shit-talk. We have had our fair share of customers that simply cant be satisfied. We've even had customers try and blame previous issues on us after leaving to try and get something fixed for free. But we've had waaaaaay more customers that leave completely satisfied and refer their friends and family to us.

Back