• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB compressors

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
I recently picked up an ARB for my 30.

I am on the fence on which Compressor to use.

half of me wants to pick up the CKSA12, which is only designed to lockers.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKSA12-P3574.aspx

but of course the other half is thinking that the CKMA12 might be a better investment.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMA12-P3572.aspx

so who is running what? is the extra ~100$ worth the bigger compressor?

I like the idea of being able to air tires back up. thoughts?

I have heard the CKMA12 is ok to air up tires, I have no first hand experiance. I was in the same situation and got the little compressor to just use on the locker. I have separate air for the tires. If I had the cash at the time I would have gone with a dual compressor system from Viair or a bigger industrial unit.

My thought on using the little compressor just for the tires is to use it very little and to avoid overuse/ over heating. Even with my 33's it takes a while to air up and with my current 33% duty compressor I am slowly killing it. I would like to get a nice 100% duty for the tires.

I have heard the CKMA12 is ok to air up tires, I have no first hand experiance. I was in the same situation and got the little compressor to just use on the locker. I have separate air for the tires. If I had the cash at the time I would have gone with a dual compressor system from Viair or a bigger industrial unit.

My thought on using the little compressor just for the tires is to use it very little and to avoid overuse/ over heating. Even with my 33's it takes a while to air up and with my current 33% duty compressor I am slowly killing it. I would like to get a nice 100% duty for the tires.

thats one of the reasons I am leaning towards the CKMA12, I don't really have the cash for a viair setup, and I don't plan on running tools or any of that nonsense.

and even if it is slow, it would be nice to be able to air tires up before driving the jeep on the highway after a trail run. in the past I have bummed air off of folks, but they are not always there.

not to mention, I really want to mount it under the hood and I don't see a Viair setup fitting anywhere.

of course there is this, but its a little out of my price range.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Boar...-Volt-Twin-Air-Compressor-CKMTA12-P21341.aspx

I've used both and they work fine for running lockers but CKMA12 is painfully slow at airing tires. The air-up kit is some sort of cruel joke. I've never had one problem with an ARB product, but IMO that's asking too much of the compressor and will only shorten it's life.
I added CO2 to inflate tires, then removed the ARB compressors to simplify things, and run everything off of the CO2. Works great, and can easily seat tire beads if needed.

On 31's the CKMA12 was fine. On 33's marginal, on 35's painful.
101_2641.jpg

I run the smaller compressor for the ARB only. I have a separate compressor for tires.

Back