• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x2 to 4x4 conversion

jgl4wdccherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone out there converted a 2 wheel drive to 4wd? I have found a nice 4x2 with low miles and would like to find out how much extra equipment is needed. Is the harness in the 4x2 ready for a transfer case? Is there another CPU/Controller? Are there any brackets missing from the 4X2?

Thanks for the insight!

I did it to mine, everything is there already you just need a transmission/transfer case/front axel/drive shafts/shift linkage

It is pretty straight forward...

You need:
a front drive axle
a front drive shaft
a 4x4 tranny that will marry to your engine
a transfer case that will marry to the tranny
a console with the slot for a transfer case handle
a tc handle, linkage, a light for the bezel, a bezel.
a light bulb for your dash.
a TCU for the new tranny

4x4 stickers & badges

if you think a transfer case will just bolt onto your 2wd tranny... you need to stop posting right now, and go LOOK at what youve got...

if you think a transfer case will just bolt onto your 2wd tranny... you need to stop posting right now, and go LOOK at what youve got...

Dude, I'm on my first Jeep. I've never done any 4x4 work and honestly didn't know. Thanks for the flame, a-hole.

Dude, I'm on my first Jeep. I've never done any 4x4 work and honestly didn't know. Thanks for the flame, a-hole.

Dude, im not. Take my advice, and LOOK at the parts. if telling you to open your eyes, makes me an asshole, i dont want to be nice.... If you have any specific questions that cant be answered by a casual look at the mating surfaces, feel free to ask. But open your eyes first. This aint installing a new printer on your home PC, and we arent an indian tech support.

With regards to your front axle, make sure to get one with the same ratio as the back. As you are new to this, you most likely may not aware of the differences. It would help a bit if you posted the year and current transmission (auto or stick) do we can proper identify the rear axle.

Find a Factory Service Manual for your year. Not a Chiltons or other aftermarket one as they tend to be somewhat less than completely accurate. I found mine on eBay for very little money as the front cover was missing. BFD on a cover, cut the price in half... In fact the seller felt bad and included the AW4 diagnostic FSM as well. Deals are out there, go find one.

Due diligence. As a retired Engineer, I can not stress this enough. The 7P theory of Project Management applies.

For those unfamiliar with the 7P:
Proper
Prior
Planning
Prevents
P#ss
Poor
Performance.

Due diligence. Make sure you have everything you will need on hand prior to starting to ensure an error free result. I would say "Best of Luck" to you but with palnning, luck does not apply. Check your local Pull and Pays wrecking yards for parts. Do not forget the hardware to go along with the assemblies. Not a difficult task as tasks go, just time consuming.

Steamer

Back