• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeway driving with only the front driveshaft?

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some problems with a H&T SYE that i did, but i'm 100 miles away from home. Is anything going to blow up if i pull the rear shaft out and put it in 4wd to get home (freeway speeds, 75mph?)?

I can also just drive slow, but i figured if it won't hurt anything, why not...

I'd go for the drive slow idea. 231 or 242? Seems like it'd put too much stress on the front end. Going 75 (or even 55), I would definitely not. I'd find another way to either fix it or get it home.

I'd drive it home... I drove mine fore like a month as a dd in "front wheel drive"

it runs fine to this day np231.. However I did have a front pinion seal go out shortly thereafter.

I wouldn't do it that long again. (didnt really mean to the first time) but to get it home I would..

I did it before. It is fine. You have to watch out for that torque steer. Unlike front wheel drive cars, the XJ was designed as a rear wheel drive first then 4 wheel drive. Be light on the go pedal at all times.

It is a 231. I've driven it short distances at low speeds this way before, but i wasn't sure what would happen at freeway speeds.

What gets engaged when you put it in 4wd? Is the chain in the transfer case going to be spinning (and it normally doesn't)? Or is the chain always spinning and the disconnect is at the front yoke?

I have had to do this before. I traveled at highway speeds for at least 30 or 40 miles with no issues. I lost a Ujoint strap and cap and did not have an extra.

It is a 231. I've driven it short distances at low speeds this way before, but i wasn't sure what would happen at freeway speeds.

What gets engaged when you put it in 4wd? Is the chain in the transfer case going to be spinning (and it normally doesn't)? Or is the chain always spinning and the disconnect is at the front yoke?

The front and rear output shafts of the t-case get locked together. Power runs to the front through the driveshaft to the front diff. The rear output just spins.

You need to close up the rear output somehow so fluid doesn't go spraying out, otherwise you will be alright.

The rear output is part of the main shaft, while the front output shaft is a stub shaft that is connected to the main shaft by a chain. When you put the TC in 4WD, the chain sprocket on the main shaft is engaged, which then causes the front output to be driven. The front output (and the chain) are always spinning from the front driveshaft, but in 2WD the sprocket is not engaged on the main shaft. So the only real difference is that the sprocket is engaged on the main shaft, and is putting real load on the chain.

You'll wear out the chain faster, that's about it.

Did you miss the part about a hack&tap? If he's got the flange on, he's in good shape.

Thanks for the explanation, ehall. In that case i think i will just pull the rear driveshaft...the other option is to go "the long way" (so i can go slower) which involves mountains and ice.

I forgot to mention i have a 1998 trans/transfer case, so fluid loss won't be an issue.

Fixing to head out here in a few, so we'll see how it goes!

I have limped home on the front end. But I also did not attempt 75mph... So what if you get passed and folks comment on your presumed parentage? At least you get to where you need to be!

I did it before. It is fine. You have to watch out for that torque steer. Unlike front wheel drive cars, the XJ was designed as a rear wheel drive first then 4 wheel drive. Be light on the go pedal at all times.

+1, I did the same thing & had the same experience, I drove like this for 2 days with no issues other than the torque steer.
If you have a 231 T/C you are ok, If you have a 242 T/C make sure to place it into "PART TIME" or you may screw it up.

About this time last year I lost the centering ball on the front driveshaft I run in the back with my Hack n Tap. I was 3 hours away from home, actually delivering an axle to another member. Got about halfway back before I had to pull over and pull the shaft off (almost lost it in a spectacular way). Wound up being a week later before I had the time to fix it, and the Jeep was my only ride at the time. I also worked 50-60 minutes away from where I was living, all highway commute. In the end, I did about 200-250 of all highway miles locked in 4HI with my NP242. Didn't hurt a thing, but I definitely wouldn't recommend going over 50-55mph.

And yes, the torque steer is a very funny feeling on a Jeep!

About this time last year I lost the centering ball on the front driveshaft I run in the back with my Hack n Tap. I was 3 hours away from home, actually delivering an axle to another member. Got about halfway back before I had to pull over and pull the shaft off (almost lost it in a spectacular way). Wound up being a week later before I had the time to fix it, and the Jeep was my only ride at the time. I also worked 50-60 minutes away from where I was living, all highway commute. In the end, I did about 200-250 of all highway miles locked in 4HI with my NP242. Didn't hurt a thing, but I definitely wouldn't recommend going over 50-55mph.

And yes, the torque steer is a very funny feeling on a Jeep!

Exactly. Will work fine, keep the speed down is all. I suspect ,at one time or another, most of us have a run on the front in times of need.

Back