• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info needed for drilling a D44 vent hole

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have an XJ D44 and I am in the process of building it and getting it ready for install and I want to use the rear brake line/vent tube setup that is one my Chrysler 8.25. Reason is for simplicity and I already have the Dakota rear brake line to use since it is longer and affordable.

Anyways my question is what size hole will I need to drill this thing out and what tap to use so I can thread in the stock "bolt" (I know it has a specific name but I can't remember what it is called)? I saw a thread one here that gave specifics on how to do this but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Just go buy the vent bolt and match the threads,your going to need it anyway.
IIRC its 5/16x24 threads :dunno:

Could I find one at autozone or would that be dealer specific?

I always went to the dealer...Try these part #s J3187999, 2011024 or #52067508
These # were what I used in 02 and 04 and are labeled axle vent on the invoice...

Tap size is 25/64", the vent is 7/16 x 20.

I shortened it a tad to prevent it from hitting the axleshaft inside the tube:

shortened.jpg

View from inside the tube:

inside.jpg

Finished it with a rubber impregnated washer:

drilledout.jpg

All done:

installed2.jpg

(full build thread on my D44 if you're interested: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5401&hilit=D44+build

HTH,
Jeff

Tap size is 25/64", the vent is 7/16 x 20.

I shortened it a tad to prevent it from hitting the axleshaft inside the tube:

shortened.jpg

View from inside the tube:

inside.jpg

Finished it with a rubber impregnated washer:

drilledout.jpg

All done:

installed2.jpg

(full build thread on my D44 if you're interested: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5401&hilit=D44+build

HTH,
Jeff

I saw that thread years ago and couldn't find it again to save my life! Thanks for the help. Where did you pick up the impregnated washer?

picked it up at my local parts place (independant store, not a chain). Hilman fasteners (Lowe's) has similar ones, called "sealing washers".

Jeff

Back