• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opening rear hatch

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Won't open from handle outside, the whole plastic area shifts but won't open

Any way to get the interior trim panel off without cutting a hole in it to access the latch?

I had to re-adjust the little pulling arm (pretty much allthread) by undoing the clip, bending that rod straight again, and re-attaching the clip lower on the threaded rod. You can get to it by unscrewing / unclippig your trim piece on the inside of the hatch.

I assume this on the 00' in your sig? That's the same year as mine, and above is how I fixed that issue.

Not gonna sugarcoat my laziness but you can get to the screws with the hatch closed?

grab the handle and smack the lock cylinder with your other hand.....works for me.

Thanks guys, I'll try those tips when I have light

You can get the interior off enough to reach in and unlock it then take it completely off, chances are it just popped out.

Mine eventually wore enough that adjusting the rod wasn't enough. If you take the handle assembly out, you'll see that it has a pivot that wears and adds play. Try the rod first, but eventually you may have to add a shim or something to the pivot to take up the slack.

grab the handle and smack the lock cylinder with your other hand.....works for me.

That's how I open the hatch on my '99

Pull and hold handle, thump hatch.

One day I will get the replacement adjustable rod for it, but not as long as this method is working.

You can pop it open from the inside..I removed the rod and drilled a hole on it to put a pin so it wouldn't slip anymore.Works like a charm now!

I used to push with one hand and pull handle with other.. Until one day that didn't work... haha

mine was stripped on the rod and after a little home engineering (rigging) it is adjusted and works nicely...

pretty shure I got all the screws I could pulled on bottom of plastic until bottom popped open a bit and reached up under the plastic and manually released the latch

I forgot to add that I threw a zip-tie around the plastic clip to keep it from sliding on the shaft after I had to adjust it a second time. Now it works every time!

IIRC, there are screws along the top of the rear glass, 1 at each corner under the glass (kind of blocked by the struts, but a small ratchet for 1/4" hex bits might get it), and the 2 through the handle. The rest of the panel is held on with plastic clips, so you be be able to remove the panel inside the Jeep without breaking it. I was lucky enough to get mine open by fighting with the outside handle for a bit.

I adjusted mine, wrapped a zip tie around the rod, sprayed everything with lube, and added a cable and pull handle as in this thread. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it again.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245051250

Some good pics of the interior bits and what exactly you're fighting with.

Back