• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ fan clutch install and radiator interference

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
Before I go and try and prop the radiator out of the way without draining, I need a little sanity check please.

I'm trying to install a ZJ fan clutch (NAPA 272310), but I'm not able to clear the studs to slip it on as I'm hitting up against the radiator (CSR 3-row).

photobucket-4099-1320289057414.jpg

Am I missing something?

Thanks!!!
-Joe

Unbolt the top radiator support so you can wiggle the radiator some, push radiator away from engine (no need to pull any hoses or drain it), put fan on.

Worked for me, and takes 5 minutes. I ran into the same issue when installing my zj fan clutch with CSF radiator. They are both bigger than stock, so there is some interference trying to install.

i don't know how much thicker the 3 core is over a stock piece but i clear the zj fan clutch just fine. maybe check to see that radiator isn't hanging.

I only have a 2-row rad., so I don't know if this will help. I put a piece of cardboard between the two to protect the rad. & worked the fan in very slowly.

JIM.

That's what I was guessing, but wanted to check first as it seems like I always end up doing a lot of needless stuff.

3 core CSF & ZJ Fan clutch here on my 2000 XJ, would not work if had not installed M.O.R.E motor mounts had to much play with stock mounts even thou they looked ok.

YMMV

is the extra cooling worth the upgrade?

I'd imagine since its a bigger fan, that installation comes with power loss?

Pry bar on the engine mount will shift the engine back enough to get it in.... perhaps not if you have poly or Brown Dog mounts. I had this problem with a replacement stock style clutch and a CSF rad.

is the extra cooling worth the upgrade?

I'd imagine since its a bigger fan, that installation comes with power loss?

Fan is the original and same size. The fan clutch runs at a higher speed relative to engine speed than the stock one did. Yes, power loss and noticeable more noise. I took mine off an dput it on my son-in-law's hnting rig. Good for off-roading though.

Pulled the studs, installed bolts, ???, profit.

My junk sucks but I put on the ZJ fan clutch and the fan doesn't wiggle anymore.

Back