• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake pedal not coming back after use.

TheLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I put this in the mod section since I have a 95-96 Booster in my 91.

specs.

1991 Laredo
4.0 AW4 NP231
Dana 35/30 vac disco with 3.55 gears
95-96 XJ Brake Booster swap.

Just started last night. The pedal will feel a bit firmer going down, and would come back up like there was no back pressure from the lines. Could this be a booster failure? I checked my front brakes and they are fine. Haven't checked the drums yet.

any ideas?

If the brakes are working fine then you may have an issue with the pedal mount. Check for anything that might have moved under the dash and be hanging up on the brake pedal lever. Also check for corrosion on the pedal shaft.

Did your '91 originally have ABS? And if it did, did you replace the pedal with the one from the donor, or re drill and move the rod pin?

the pedal is completely ruined. I had to jam it back up to release the brakes. I cannot do anything to this Jeep to fix it now.

sounds like its time for a new brake booster and master cylinder. Are you hearing any air when pressing the brake pedal down? If so its time for a new Brake Booster and Master

The pushrod probably needs some lube... GF's Grand Cherokee was sucking air so I installed a new Brake Booster and MC and it was squeaking for the first day and then it went away after a day and some Triflow. Check your PC Vavle

I dont have a PC valve lol. I got into today and found out the rod was about a quarter of an inch away from the MC. so I set it right and now its perfect. Tomorrow I am going to play with it a little more to get it just right. Also, the brake switch has a star like clip that holds it in. Well, mine is MIA. Where to get a new one? Ace Hardware?

Back