• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ 'shudders' and cuts out??

Cherokee Dad

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 6cl auto 4x4 - at a stop it will give a 'shudder' and sometimes cuts out - easy to restart. Then sometimes when driving (sometimes on a bump) it cuts out all the guages go to zero then re-fires a second later on it's own and continues on?

I have checked as many conectors and wires as I can reach and found no problems - any help would be great.

No codes, not even a check engine light. Has 210,000 miles, the throttle body was removed and cleaned a few months back 2 -3K miles ago; CPS and a re-maned PCM replaced about the same time, and the Jeep runs great other than this cutout/shudder deal.

No codes, not even a check engine light. Has 210,000 miles, the throttle body was removed and cleaned a few months back 2 -3K miles ago; CPS and a re-maned PCM replaced about the same time, and the Jeep runs great other than this cutout/shudder deal.

I was going to say check the ECU (Its really not a PCM since the transmission has a separate controller module) as that can be a sign that it is having issues. Then I recognized the name, and searched to find you had started a thread a while back that I responded to when you couldn't connect to state inspection. I would 99% say it is an issue with the ECU, and would get in touch with who ever you bought the unit from. Before we replaced the PCM in my father's TJ, it would cut out at random times, and would restart right afterwards. It would do this while idling, in park, or even while driving.

2000 XJ 6cl auto 4x4 - at a stop it will give a 'shudder' and sometimes cuts out - easy to restart. Then sometimes when driving (sometimes on a bump) it cuts out all the guages go to zero then re-fires a second later on it's own and continues on?

I have checked as many conectors and wires as I can reach and found no problems - any help would be great.

I had the same exact issue with my 1998 XJ Classic (I6, auto, 242j, 4x4) when I had the 3 inch lift installed, with the 1 inch trans/x-member drop.

The transmission drop made the engine/aw4 tilt back just enough to put pressure on the wiring harness ( between the rear of the block & firewall ) that it would cause the engine to stall & all instruments to drop dead on small sharp bumps no matter if it was highway speed or going 20 mph on a turn.

I had to live with the stalling, and instant restart bullshit for 2 months until I installed an Tom Woods SYE kit on the transfercase, and then removed that shitty 1 inch drop kit. I replaced that with a TNT Customs bellypan/x-member. The problem completely went away after the drop-kit was removed and the engine/trans was tilted back up to relieve the tension off the wiring harness.

I suggest you double-check the harness for any contact with the drive train, and then also check for a loose wire/connection near the distrib/ignition coil(packs)/CPU/. Also check the crankshaft position sensor unit. It could also be tripping you up.

Best of luck with that man... I've been there.

I checked as many wiring harnesses as I could reach - all seemed ok. I talked to a Jeep mechanic and he seems to think it most likely is the aftermarket CPS unit that was installed and suggested a factory unit, so it's a work in progress with a couple of things to check.

Back