• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch or Locker

Trimmy

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 Cherokee with 32s a 3.5" RE lift TNT winch bumper sye and some other goodies. I plan on light wheeling but mainly want it to be a good DD. I am going to be buying a lunchbox locker and an xrc8 winch. I am just unsure which would benifit me more right now? I will be buying one right now and the other in about a month. Which lunchbox is best priced and nicest? It has an older Cherokee d44 rear.

I *was* going to say winch..

But, If you get anything other then a lock-right, it should last alot longer then the winch you listed..

BTW.. I suggest looking into the Spartan locker.

What's a decent priced winch? Like less then 500 I really won't need it much and everything I needed one for a come along pulled my old Toyota out of... I want to get decent parts but I'm kinda on a budget because I'm going to propose to my girl lol I sold my 05 Dmax and twin turbo'd cummins and bought a 3000 jeep to make it happen... Lol

My Smittybilt XRC10 has lasted me well. Had it for a couple years and have used it way more than I ever thought I would, doing a lot of utility work more than recovery work, although there has been plenty of recovery work as well.

get a PowerTrax NoSlip locker for the rear. Its no fun winching up stuff thinking you could have just drove up if you were locked.

I run a spartan in the front of my xj, but it is imported, so you'll be
Supporting terrorism if you buy it. My xrc8 suits me fine too. Locker first then winch.

Do your self a favor and buy a Warn or a Ramsey anything else you may as well burn your money. I have a 15 year old Warn that has never failed to work. Before that I had a 5 year old Ramsey never failed to work slow but worked. My buddy cheeped out and bought a Mile Marker and got to use it 3 times. Now for the past year the cable has been wrapped around the front bumper.

Dave

Funny...I had failures on 3 Warn winches, and never with a Chicago or an XRC8.

For the money, I don't think an XRC8 can be beat, and it's the fastest of the "cheap" winches.

Think of it like this When I buy a new tool its a mac or snapon sometimes Craftsmen I never buy Chit from china when it comes to tools .If its more like your buying a winch as a investment The whole country is invested in China does that mean you should too .Also I locked my rear5 or 6 years agoand 4 years later I got my Ramsey 8.5 rep winch I have only used it once on keeping myself from Dumping in my pants think I was gonna roll over in Walker valley WA. I have used it for retriving trees out of the woods and to unstick TOYOTA's alot and I always laugh at the turdtoters

I did the winch first and am in the process off putting buiilt (alloyed/geared/arb's) axles in

I did it that way because I got a great deal on a warn 8274 that made it the much cheaper option.

if $ wasn't an issue I wouldve preferred to be locked first.. Especially if you have a hi lift or come along to manually winch.. Or allways have someone to pull you out (shouldnt wheel alone anyway)..

I do wheel just my rig sometimes so a winch did help alot though.

superwinch EP9.

mines been flaweless, even after i ran into a tree and bent it. Just makes a little more noise now.

I'm starting to think the guys who spent $700-$1000 on a winch have a complex. The op didn't ask for which winch, he said lunchbox locker and an xrc 8. The xrc8 can be had for $249 all day long. He didn't say recommend a winch that cost 2-3 time the one I listed. He wanted to know which to do first. To me winches are like roll cages, your glad they're there, but you hope to not have to use them. With a winch, I could drag a Honda civic through the rubicon, but that's no fun and it's not wheeling. I prefer to drive the trails, with the winch as a last resort. With that in mind, locker first.

I'm starting to think the guys who spent $700-$1000 on a winch have a complex. The op didn't ask for which winch, he said lunchbox locker and an xrc 8. The xrc8 can be had for $249 all day long. He didn't say recommend a winch that cost 2-3 time the one I listed. He wanted to know which to do first. To me winches are like roll cages, your glad they're there, but you hope to not have to use them. With a winch, I could drag a Honda civic through the rubicon, but that's no fun and it's not wheeling. I prefer to drive the trails, with the winch as a last resort. With that in mind, locker first.

You do have a valid point he didn't ask what winch. In a since we're just trying to save him money in the long run and talk him out of a China made winch. Yes you can buy a winch for $249 and when it breaks you can buy another and another. Or buy a Warn,Ramsey,Superwinch or even and old used Beaver or Hickey once and be done with it. I have seen my fair share of broken Warns but nothing like the made in China stuff.

When I sold my Ramsey REP8000. I sold it to a dude that had burned up 2 made in China winches. He gladly paid me $300.00 for it. So in a since he was now into a 11 year old winch for $800.00

Oh and I vote locker first then save for a good winch. But what do I know? I'm just an old dude with a complex that don't have lockers just a $1295.00 winch that always works.

Dave

Think of it like this When I buy a new tool its a mac or snapon sometimes Craftsmen I never buy Chit from china when it comes to tools.

Really look at those Mac tools Close. I walked on to my Mac tool dealers truck one day to have a pair of needle nose pliers warrantied. Looked at the ones in my hand that had MADE IN USA stamped on them. You can clearly tell they were made by Chanel lock with red handles. Looked at the new ones and they said Mac tools laser etched in them. Looked at Oscar the tool truck driver and asked what up? He said look up at all the pliers on hanging the roof. He pointed to one pair that had a darker shade of red on the handles same as mine. Then said those are the only ones left that are actually made in the USA all the rest are (I quote in his words imported from off shore) I asked made in China and he would not answer me.

I still have my same needle nose pliers to this day

Dave

Back