• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears and 35??

cherokeeforbyer

NAXJA Forum User
is anybody running 456 gears with 35s? And if so how well do you like it? I just did the gears in my jeep and need tires, now sure what i want to go with, 33s or 35s?

for 35s specifically...

the general trend seems to be that those with 4.56s sometimes wish they had gone with 4.88s. but few people with 4.88 complain that they should have gone 4.56.

if youve got the AX-15, you can get away with 4.56s. if youve got an AW4, most if not all will say go 4.88.

Last edited:
i just put my 4.56s in today and im running 35's ...only drove it around the block but should get more seat time tomorrow.....felt quick and peppy again up to about 45 mph...

I ran 4.88's on 33's for a while...it wheeled great and was a great DD as well.

I am currently running 5.13's and 315/75-16 (~34") and LOVE it...but will end up at 36's or so as soon as finances allow.

most of the folks I have spoke to/wheeled with that had 4.56's and 35's whished for 4.88 or deeper. I know that's only a handful of people but with the deep OD of the AW4 go as deep as you can...you won't regret it.

4.56 and 32's was amazing on the street and the trail.

With 35's, it killed the low end that I had on the street. I usually put the AW4 in 3rd when I'm on the road going under 40-45mph or going up a decent sized hill. Wasn't going to go 4.88's to risk the breakage. You'll be fine with 35's, just my personal preference.

Same here. 4.56 and 35's. 4.88 isn't enough of reduction gain to justify doing it again.

If you're doing it from the start go with 4.88s but I doubt you'd notice the difference between the two.

That slight edge goes away with increased rolling mass and added wind resistance. A lot of people seem ok with their 4.56, a lot say they wish they were lower, but not 1 person who has 4.88 has said they wanted anything higher. With the od, highway rpm's are fine. 4.88's are the way to go.

Back