• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which u joint

teraflexed

NAXJA Forum User
After reading a few threads, I can't find exactly which u joints are in my dana30. 1990 xj stock disco. I have a pair of 760s, but they look huge in comparison.

After reading a few threads, I can't find exactly which u joints are in my dana30. 1990 xj stock disco. I have a pair of 760s, but they look huge in comparison.

Just as a heads up on my stock D30 the driver side has a bigger size cap than the passenger side. I found this one out the hard way. Out camping with the nearst store 70 miles away and my U-joint goes out. I had to drive to town P/U the joint that they said was the correct one and go back to camp, just to find out that they are completly different.

Still havent bought any new ones, so If I was you I would check the or maybe take the joint out and and take it down with you to do the old man catalog check process (match side by side)

Early models came with the smaller 260 joints. IIRC 97+ Dana 30 axles have the 297 that can be upgraded to the 760's

Someone may have installed an earlier or later drive shaft with a different sized u-joint. The best way to determine the u-joint size is to measure the u-joint cap ( dimension C and/or D ) with a caliper.

orig.jpg

5-260X Spicer 4x4 Front Axle U-joint.
Commonly known as the "Small" axle u-joint. Easy to spot on open knuckle front ends by measuring the bearing cap diameter. Utilizes inside "C" Clips to lock u-joint in place.
• Dimension A = 2.188 inches ( 2 3/16 inches )
• Dimension B = 2.188 inches ( 2 3/16 inches )
• Dimension C = 1.062 inches ( 1 1/16 inches )
• Dimension D = 1.062 inches ( 1 1/16 inches )

5-297 (and 5-760X) Spicer 4x4 Front Axle U-joint.
Commonly known as the "Large" axle u-joint. Easy to spot on open knuckle front ends by measuring the bearing cap diameter. Utilizes inside "C" Clips to lock u-joint in place.
• Dimension A = 2.188 inches ( 2 3/16 inches )
• Dimension B = 2.188 inches ( 2 3/16 inches )
• Dimension C = 1.188 inches ( 1 3/16 inches )
• Dimension D = 1.188 inches ( 1 3/16 inches )

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back