• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Question

DCB

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 XJ has a problem when you turn it off after driving for a while, then start it up again...it will idle very ruff and backfire if I give it to much gas. After a while it will run fine.

Any ideas?

Peace

It has the common 2001 heatsoak issues. Search heatsoak and you will get all sorts of solutions. I added a set of GenRight hoodvents to my 01 and no more heatsoak.

Or it could be something completely different.

Heat soak is likely the main cause. Make sure your Throttle Body is clean, use some fuel injector cleaner every few months, and check on your spark plug condition. The 2000-01 distributor-less Cherokees run best on AutoLite APP985 or NGK spark plugs and they need to be changed every 36,000 miles.

OK..thanks for the advice.

I hate to say it but I have not changed the plugs the whole time I have owned it (2nd owner, bought it with 42,000 miles). It now has 114,00 miles. The plugs I just pulled looked bad...surprised it still ran, and they were Champion plugs. Put in new NGK's.

It dose seem to run a little smoother...time will tell.

Thanks all!

Peace

So you put 72k on your plugs, and they may have been in there who knows when from the previous owner...... You got your moneys worth!!!! I'll bet the gap was pretty big after all of that firing.

Never go this long on your next change. 30-40k on copper plugs is about all they are good for with efficiency. They are NOT that expensive.

(hangs head low) I will not let that happen again!

How often does the rail need to be replaced?

Peace

The coil rail only needs to be replaced then it fails or you get sick of it. Running a gap that large could have shortened its life. Out of curiosity, how large was the gap on the plugs?

Did not measure it...but it was big and at an angle. I was a little embarrassed....even though no one saw them.

Peace

Man... does it run better. Smoother and seems faster. Will check the gas milage this week.

Peace

Man... does it run better. Smoother and seems faster. Will check the gas milage this week.

Peace

Back