• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory fuel tank skid

kevin92xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm gettin serious about cutting the rear floor of my XJ and dropping the gas tank half way though, but have a question. Will a stock fuel tank SKID PLATE drop in through the top or is it to wide to fit between the "frame" rails? And if it works, anyone have one they wanna sell?

No it wont it bolts to the frame rails, your definitly not going to cut those, well I guess if you drop it in first it will. How are you going to secure it? Its going to need to be bolted in pretty good if your going to have rocks pushing on it. I would drop the tank in from the top, then modify the gas tank skid and bolt it on the bottom of the frame rails. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
No it wont it bolts to the frame rails, your definitly not going to cut those, well I guess if you drop it in first it will. How are you going to secure it? Its going to need to be bolted in pretty good if your going to have rocks pushing on it. I would drop the tank in from the top, then modify the gas tank skid and bolt it on the bottom of the frame rails. Hope this helps.

I was thinking of dropping the skid in from the top and welding the mounting flanges to the floor all the way around, then the tank could sit/mount on top of that. But I think the factory skid has holes and voids right? So it wouldnt seal the interioir from the elements if I did that? So I think I'll just drop the tank onto the floor by itself and seal it real good, then make or modify a skid that mounts underneath to the frame like you said.

There are a number of people on this forum who have done this project in the past (none of them that I am aware of are in the Northwest). I would really receommend that you search the other tech forums for more details.

The factory fuel tank skid that I have seen/had have been complete (no holes) and if they did have holes it wouldn't be difficult to fill or reinforce them anyway.

I don't see any reason you couldn't drop the factory skid in from the top (into the hole you cut) and weld that in place and put the tank on top of that and strap it down in place.

Personally I think I would consider fiberglassing the lower skid after it is welded in place to help "seal" it but obviously there are other solutions also to make sure it is well sealed. I think I would also consider a second skid (or home made alternative) attached "upside down" on top of the tank so that it is protected from the top also.

A fuel cell might actually be easier/less expensive considering all of the work/fabrication etc?

Michael

So I'm gettin serious about cutting the rear floor of my XJ and dropping the gas tank half way though, but have a question. Will a stock fuel tank SKID PLATE drop in through the top or is it to wide to fit between the "frame" rails? And if it works, anyone have one they wanna sell?

<96 Cherokee skids will not fit between the rails.

Back