• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossover shocks or through floor?

BruteNasty

NAXJA Forum User
K I got a killer deal on a Super 35 (way too good to pass up) and before I put it in, im cutting off the shock mounts and mounting off the side of the axle. I have a 6" RC lift and whatever shocks come with it. So obviously, Im gonna need to change the upper shock mount point. Would I be better off building through the floor towers or crossover shock mounts? Ive read a lot of positives about the crossover mounts, but also a lot of negative comments, mainly that they dont dampen correctly.

BTW, this is for a trailered, trail only rig. Thanks for any input!

Super 35 should live a while longer if you don't get crazy with tire size, and even longer so with a good truss and main cap girdle to stop deflection. Is also a but if money dumped into a 35 also. But working with what you have is what we do at times. Back to the OP, what ever you decide, think of future upgraded and what shock set up will work best.

Last edited:
I got the idea from my race car rear end,I also found a fabricator that builds girdles for hybred diffs, so I decided I would try it , it's from lpw racing, it's a super heavy duty diff cover, it's thicker than the G2, and has a flat bolt plate that goes through the cover applying preassure to the main caps. I think it's www.lpwracing.com

through the floor, you wanna keep them as vertical as possible. it helps a ton with stability and handling. running them crossed doesn't do much except make it lean alot more on sidehills, and give you a bit more flex. you really can't run a longer real long shock under an XJ so if you go through the floor you can run a longer shock.

shocks are most effective when vertical, and as close to the tire as possible.

i love mine set up like this

310346_517577021604_226300669_296472_1214325025_n.jpg

313852_517646292784_226300669_296974_1120286395_n.jpg

simple,easy,effective.

if you could probably seal off the interior if you wanted to as well with a lil sheet metal and some shifter boots. but my jeep is a piece of shit and i dont care anymore

I read somewhere that a 15 degree angle was the cutoff, and Vertical being optimal. X2 through the floor if dont mind dealing with the elements..

Well looks like ima have to do a hoop of some sort. I got under my rig the other night and realized that the guy i got the jeep from decided he was gonna weld (and by weld, i mean dumped globs of metal all over the place) shock mounts over the original bar pin mounts. Its hideous, and I dont know what to do about it since you cant get in there with a grinder.

shocks are most effective when vertical, and as close to the tire as possible.

i love mine set up like this

simple,easy,effective.

if you could probably seal off the interior if you wanted to as well with a lil sheet metal and some shifter boots. but my jeep is a piece of shit and i dont care anymore

i love that setup.thats the same way im going to do mine, except i want to seal it off.

Back