• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear ratio combos

How does this look? What else can I add?

Which axles could have which gears? Could you get a D44 with 4.56 stock or was that a D35 or C8.25?

6282687239_44e0b5d376_b.jpg

Installed gears depended on the installed options packages and on optional special orders. AMC is famous for having numerous special packages and extensive option availability. After Chrysler took over, they reduced the number of option packages and individual options and you can assume a bit more about the gearing. Chrysler Cherokees were pretty much all 4.0L/AW-4 = 3.55, 4.0L/Stick = 3.07, and 4-cylinder/AW-4 = 4.10.

There is no way to "look" at at an early Cherokee and decide its gearing. .

Cherokee Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJ's with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some older XJ's with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJ's with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

If buying an axle, you should always spin the diff and count the tire revolutions, or open the diff cover and check the ring gear stampings to determine the gear ratio.

Last edited:
I understand that there was a lot of variability in the earlier models, but I'm sure that there has got to some options that when you see them you'll know that there is some particular type of gearing, eg, tow package.

I know it would be hard or impossible to chart all the different options but as a general rule of thumb, what do you think?

What if somebody removed the factory tow hitch from one Cherokee and put it on other Cherokee. Just by "looking", now which Cherokee has a factory tow package (and potentially 3.73 gears) ?

There is no way to "look" at at an early Cherokee and decide its gearing. If buying (swapping, or installing) any axle, you should always spin the diff and count the tire revolutions, or open the diff cover and check the ring gear stampings to determine the gear ratio.

What if somebody removed the factory tow hitch from one Cherokee and put it on other Cherokee. Just by "looking", which Cherokee has a factory tow package (and potentially 3.73 gears) ?

There is no way to "look" at at an early Cherokee and decide its gearing. If buying (swapping, or installing) any axle, you should always spin the diff and count the tire revolutions, or open the diff cover and check the ring gear stampings to determine the gear ratio.

QFT

keep in mind dealer options as well. ive seen some install LSDs, hitches, tinting options, etc...

also, what about the mythical venezuelan Xj44 front?

I get what you're saying. I understand your point.

But, I'm looking for tell-tale signs that would indicate some option that was different than factory.

For example, if there is hitch then there is a good chance there's xxx gears.

Put on your x-ray glasses. As explained this not possible.

Buying Genuine Jeep factory original parts from the dealership (or junkyard) was easy, so the presence or absence of any specific parts (hitch, tow hooks, skid plates) does not, and cannot, imply the presence or absence of any other specific parts, features, or optional parts/option packages, including gear ratio.

Last edited:
So you had to specifically order an XJ with a different gear ratio? It wasn't part of a tow package like it nowadays?

Back