• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Vin Number Locations

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Recently purchased a 1986 Comanche cab, and wanted to find more than the vin number that was on the dash.

There is no tag riveted to the firewall behind the brake booster like there is on my '89 XJ. There is a sticker on the firewall, which shows the smog equipment for the 2.8, but no vin.

The rear framerails are cut behind the cab, and the front is cut right at the frame rail.

Doors did not come with it, so no sticker on the door.

So far Ive found there are three locations, tag on the firewall, sticker on the drivers door, and tag on the front crossmember behind the bumper. All of which dont help me.. :rolleyes:

So anyone know of any others?

So far Ive found there are three locations, tag on the firewall, sticker on the drivers door, and tag on the front crossmember behind the bumper. All of which dont help me.. :rolleyes:

So anyone know of any others?

On my XJ I know there's the crossmember one, the one by the brake booster, the door, and somewhere in the rear.. I can't remember if it's inside hiding under trim or what, I just recall seeing one somewhere back there... I thought there were universal places / number or plates on most vehicles? My dad's JK has tags in almost the same spots as my XJ, they're just stickers..

I hope that helps, maybe it will spark your creativity and help you find one! :laugh3:

Edit: I'm looking around for some info... I'm still up from Black Friday shopping so I have no idea where I read this 30 seconds ago, but allegedly "some jeeps" have the vin (or partial vin) stamped on or around the steering box... I'm going to keep looking, I need to stay busy so I don't fall asleep.

Edit 2: I just read on Comanche Club that it "can" be found somewhere on the radiator support... They were arguing about whether the original is on the top or the bottom of it, so you may have to unbolt it. I don't remember seeing one anywhere around there when I swapped radiators in my Xj. Mine is a 2000 though.

The search continues!

Edit 3: According to some Jeep Forum people there should be some hidden in the interior somewhere, under the seats (not on the seat) under the carpet, and possibly one on the inside of the firewall. They can be stamps, not plates, so just look for any ID you can find.

I think I've read about everything I can find. Good luck!! :conceited

Last edited:
Now it's been too long to edit.. I found some more info, it's possibly etched somewhere on the inside of your fenders, and there should be a sticker on the back side of your gauge cluster.

Another edit: This is a fun hunt for info... It can be somewhere under the glove compartment on the firewall.

Last edited:
OMG Is this where is Waldo? :eyes: :laugh:

I just got a 89' 1 ton MJ I will hunt for my vin this weekend too! :eyes:

OMG Is this where is Waldo? :eyes: :laugh:

I just got a 89' 1 ton MJ I will hunt for my vin this weekend too! :eyes:

Pretty much! :laugh:

I'll look at some MJs next time I go to the JY, there doesn't seem to be any solid info on this... Maybe because they don't want us to know, so that we can't replace every single VIN on stolen vehicles! Because we'd totally do that, it's not like you can buy these things for a couple hundred bucks at local auctions... :banghead:

The frame rails are cut on the front right in front of the fire wall, so no inner fenders, front crossmember, or anything of the sort.

I could not locate one on the inside of the firewall, but I will have my dad look a bit closer. I looked around the seat mounts as well, but who knows if I missed anything.

My 89 XJ has a vin tag above the booster as well, which is where I originally looked. I didnt notice anything missing, no bolt holes or worn paint, so Im guessing since its a '87 MJ they might have changed in those years?

What Im working with is the cab, and the frame rails under the cab. No other parts or pieces. I do have the one tag that came on the stock dash, but Im wondering if that will be enough for the DMV, especially after Im done with it in several years.

Darn. I was going to suggest checking for it stamped into the inner fender inside the engine compartment on the passenger side.

I wish I could buy a cab with that little still attached to it and still have any chance of NEEDING a VIN! You CO guys are lucky.

Back