• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker

lucky14

NAXJA Forum User
I have a spare lunchbox locker that was in my D30 in my TJ that I took out when I was driving it alot.

just wondering with the increased wheelbase if anyone is lunchboxing their HP D30 or D30s and what they thought? In the TJ it was a bit squirrely. i was hoping it might be tolerable in an XJ. Although I have a trailer.. I do pimp my rides on the street alot too.

I know the longer the wheelbase the less noticeable it is- in my TJ it sucked on the highway on off ramps. I will give it a whirl next time I have the front end apart. thanks.

I have done alot of reading on these and the general consensus seems they are virtually unnoticeable on the streets if the XJ is in 2wd and in a Jeep with an automatic. The 5-speed guys tend to claim they experience a little bucking from the front end in turns even in 2wd while driving around on the streets.

Why would it have an effect in the front in 2WD? In 2WD the front axle is not driven. Even with a manual.

The D30 does not have locking hubs so when the wheels are moving the axle shafts are still spinning which turns the all the parts inside the diff and in turn spins the front driveshaft. So since the front drivetrain is moving and the locker is always in the locked position until you enter a turn. Some experience a ratcheting effect when the locker finally does disengage in a turn.

The D30 does not have locking hubs so when the wheels are moving the axle shafts are still spinning which turns the all the parts inside the diff and in turn spins the front driveshaft. So since the front drivetrain is moving and the locker is always in the locked position until you enter a turn. Some experience a ratcheting effect when the locker finally does disengage in a turn.
Then something is wrong with it or the differential. Other than noise (that you may hear in a parking lot...with the window open...and the tunes off) it is invisible in 2wd.

Ya. I've got an aussie in the front and I never hear or feel anything from it in 2wd. Not in turns uneven ground or low traction. Its invisable until I put it in 4wd then you can't help but notice it. Something. Is probably wrong with yours.

sent from my mind because I'm so Awesome!

I have an aussie in the front and I never hear or feel anything from it in 2wd. Not on uneven ground, low traction or turns. Nothing until I engage 4wd. Then you can't help but notice. There's probably something wrong with yours.

sent from my mind because I'm so Awesome!

Then something is wrong with it or the differential. Other than noise (that you may hear in a parking lot...with the window open...and the tunes off) it is invisible in 2wd.

I did state that on AUTOMATIC Jeeps it is widely reported that it IS invisible in the front, however on MANUAL Jeeps, owners seem to report more feedback from these lockers in turns. This is NOT my personal experience just the report back on the experience of other Jeep owners running these lockers in their rigs. Also on early XJs that have the D30 with the vacuum operated split axle shaft that only engages in 4wd, they will never experience any feedback whether it is Manual or Automatic since the only side moving would be the front driver side shaft.

I did state that on AUTOMATIC Jeeps it is widely reported that it IS invisible in the front, however on MANUAL Jeeps, owners seem to report more feedback from these lockers in turns. This is NOT my personal experience just the report back on the experience of other Jeep owners running these lockers in their rigs. Also on early XJs that have the D30 with the vacuum operated split axle shaft that only engages in 4wd, they will never experience any feedback whether it is Manual or Automatic since the only side moving would be the front driver side shaft.
Well then...you are spreading incorrect "feedback".

The front differential doesn't give a rat's ass whether you have a stick shift or not when in 2wd. If we were talking about the rear, then it would be a different story...but unless the interwebby tells me different, I'm gonna trust that nobody has a D30 in the rear of their Jeep:conceited

Well then...you are spreading incorrect "feedback".

The front differential doesn't give a rat's ass whether you have a stick shift or not when in 2wd. If we were talking about the rear, then it would be a different story...but unless the interwebby tells me different, I'm gonna trust that nobody has a D30 in the rear of their Jeep:conceited

Oh excuse me sir I was unaware I was talking to the all knowing Jeep God. Please excuse my ignorance.

Please dude give it up just because you don't have feedback from yours or you just sat down and thought about it and "couldn't see how it could give feedback" doesn't mean someone else didn't. Heck the OP even said he had feedback from the one he had in the front of his TJ and wanted to know if he would experience the same in his XJ. Not all Jeeps are created equal big guy just like some Jeeps get death wobble and some don't or some experience horrible drive line vibrations after a 3 inch lift and some don't get any even at 6 inches of lift.

Saying "oh you absolutely no doubt couldn't ever notice it, EVER!" is not good advice from someone who is not an expert. Saying something more like "you more than likely won't ever notice it or shouldn't atleast" is more what you should have said.

Oh in case you still are going to be a jerk, here is where I got my info as well as reading MANY other threads about them researching to see if this was a good option for me. First hand experience!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059207

Lucky14 run that thing up front and see how you like it. If you got an Automatic then based on popular reports you more than likely shouldn't notice it. Good Luck! Let us know how it works out!

Having just swapped in a D30 two weeks ago with an Aussie already installed in it, and being cursed with the ability to be absolutely paranoid about new and unfamiliar noises, i've been doing a lot of homework on lockers since. Aussie seems to be a great brand, and i've got some excellent customer service from them on trying to determine if there is or is not really a problem with mine.

So you have the background of what i'm talking about, here's my thread with a video in it: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1071817

The general feedback i've received seems to be split 50/50. Some say their front Aussie makes the same noises as mine, and always has, while some say their front Aussie doesn't and never has. Pulling the front driveshaft has made it almost perfectly quiet, but I expected that to happen as how ANY chance of power somehow making it directly to the front wheels has now been eliminated.

The more I thought about it last week, I began to think more and more about how the front end is set up, along the lines of what Ben mentioned in a previous post. Given that our hubs are always locked, it would make perfect sense that you're going to get noise and some feedback when making sharp turns. Currently, if I were to put the front driveshaft back in, I get mainly noise, but I have got a little bit of feedback on a really sharp and somewhat fast turn, only one time.

Right now, i'm basically at the point of "it's a locker, it's going to be noisy" and trying to learn to get over it. Having tested it out a little bit two weeks ago, it performed flawlessly. When I had the cover off two weeks ago as well, I saw nothing that jumped out as "hey, that's a problem!", which also made me feel a lot better about the noises i'm hearing.

Oh excuse me sir I was unaware I was talking to the all knowing Jeep God. Please excuse my ignorance.

Please dude give it up just because you don't have feedback from yours or you just sat down and thought about it and "couldn't see how it could give feedback" doesn't mean someone else didn't. Heck the OP even said he had feedback from the one he had in the front of his TJ and wanted to know if he would experience the same in his XJ. Not all Jeeps are created equal big guy just like some Jeeps get death wobble and some don't or some experience horrible drive line vibrations after a 3 inch lift and some don't get any even at 6 inches of lift.

Saying "oh you absolutely no doubt couldn't ever notice it, EVER!" is not good advice from someone who is not an expert. Saying something more like "you more than likely won't ever notice it or shouldn't atleast" is more what you should have said.

Oh in case you still are going to be a jerk, here is where I got my info as well as reading MANY other threads about them researching to see if this was a good option for me. First hand experience!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059207

Lucky14 run that thing up front and see how you like it. If you got an Automatic then based on popular reports you more than likely shouldn't notice it. Good Luck! Let us know how it works out!

The only person acting the part of "jerk" here is you.

How do you know if I have first hand experience or not, or if I'm indeed an "expert" or not? How do know if I'm a certified professional at this stuff or not? News flash...I do this for a fawking living. I know how it works. Period.

I'm telling you...as a professional 4x4 shop owner/fabber/gear installer/all around 4x4 builder and wheeler...if you feel a locker in a D30 while you're driving in 2wd, something is wrong. Period. Auto, manual, 29's, 37's, TJ, XJ, LP, HP, whatever.

Stop calling names and acting immature, start accepting that some of us have real world experience we're willing to share with you.

Last edited:
The only time I EVER felt anything in 2WD was when something ELSE was worn out (u-joints, front driveshaft, t-case, etc.).

Once those issues were fixed, any noise associated with the front end disappeared.

I had a lockrite in a front D30, as well as a front D44.

The only person acting the part of "jerk" here is you.

How do you know if I have first hand experience or not, or if I'm indeed an "expert" or not? How do know if I'm a certified professional at this stuff or not? News flash...I do this for a fawking living. I know how it works. Period.

I'm telling you...as a professional 4x4 shop owner/fabber/gear installer/all around 4x4 builder and wheeler...if you feel a locker in a D30 while you're driving in 2wd, something is wrong. Period. Auto, manual, 29's, 37's, TJ, XJ, LP, HP, whatever.

Stop calling names and acting immature, start accepting that some of us have real world experience we're willing to share with you.

Well this is the interweb and as I quote you from earlier you can't believe everything you hear on the interweb. So Mr. Expert I have no idea whether you are or are not. And considering Lucky14 felt his, UNCC_99XJ feels some feedback from his, and as well as many other FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE from those who pasted here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059207

I am willing to hear out anyone with first hand experience. And some of those first hand experience reports say they can feel it in some scenarios. I heard you and your opinion that it shouldn't be noticeable which in most cases nobody should, BUT there are SOME reports of feedback. I am NOT saying that he WILL feel the locker up front but I am saying it is possible that he could but it is unlikely if installed correctly and all associated parts are in proper working order.

If you are the expert you claim then here are some customer service tips I have for you.

Here is what you said, "No. You absolutely will never feel the locker, ever."

Here is what you should have said, "No, you shouldn't feel the locker in the front D30 as long as the locker is installed correctly and all other drivetrain parts are in good shape."

This way if the locker is put in and it gives feedback you don't look incompetent and like you don't know what you are doing about. It is possible for these lockers to be felt in a D30, PERIOD. Why do we know this? Because many owners with FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE report back that they can feel it.

Quit being an arrogant know-it-all and leave it at in your expert opinion, and from your experience, that he shouldn't notice it. And that the others who claim to notice it, it is in YOUR opinion and based on YOUR experience that they have misdiagnosed another problem with their axle by associating it with their locker.

Having a blanket "nope, your wrong, your dumb, not possible, I'm right" will turn people from listening to you. I am not taking this approach. I am taking the "well it is possible but more than likely no." See the difference? With such a low post count I wouldn't expect you to understand how to handle discussions quite yet. Please take this advice and next time try not to be so aggressive and abrasive with your responses.

How does this sound I have a five speed I had a dana 30 with an aussie, it was invisible on the street

2 aussies in 2 different d30's, both were invincible

Let's avoid the pissing match and just say that if you feel your locker in the front you are either not in 2wd or you need to fix your junk. I run a spartan in my front 30, never heard or felt a thing in 2wd. I also run a powertrax in the rear and the only time it's really noticeable is very sharp turns under heavy acceleration. Pulling out of parking lots into traffic usually results in some tire chirping. No clicks or ratcheting noise what so ever.

Back