• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultimate DD Build... Need advice

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
So my xj which is only a wheeler may become my DD. My tranny went out on my neon so thinking about building the jeep and doing double duty with it. I currently run d30 with Aussie and 29 spline 8.25 open. Would like to go to 35s and have something strong enough I can wheel on the weekends without worrying too much about getting to work. Would like to keep budget around 4k and I don weld so would have to pay for most fab. I want to stay stock width or at least close to it. Want selectable lockers f/r preferably arb. I already have a radius arm set up and armored up ok but will add a few missing pieces. My biggest decision I need to make is with axles. Anything fit in my budget that will be nearly bomb proof for 35s? Thinking 44/9 cut down...what are everyone's thoughts? I am thinking 4:56 or 4:88 gears with the arb.

You're already past your budget with your plans. Especially having to pay someone to do it.

Why not spend 4k on a 95 Honda Civic and keep rolling. I hated DDing my trail junk. I DD a 93 XJ on 31s at the moment.

4k on a 95 honda civic? :roflmao:

I agree about the budget though. If you went down to 33's that would help bring down the cost a lot. 4k could get you a very nice DD on 31's and would still be a lot of fun to wheel.

But yea, 4k for a built rig on 35's... not gunna happen.

I'm with Low on this one. I have nearly 9k in my trail rig to make it strong enough to drive to the trails and return. Really axle swaps and all of the fabrication that goes with them would be your biggest concern. Making a D-30 live on 35's gets pricey and so does swapping in a D-44.

I want D-60's but I do not want to swap to 37's. Every mod leads to another and so on.

Making a D-30 live on 35's gets pricey and so does swapping in a D-44.

Every mod leads to another and so on.

Very true especially the second one.

I DD a 87 on 31s, 8.8 rear (cause I accidently filled the 35 with the good stuff) d30 and lots of performance/reliability odds and ends which u can never seem to recall and list.
Anyway I got tons in it for being on 31s mainly trying to make it reliable, yet wheelable, yet capable, yet fast, yet comfortable haha.
And still I got to borrow moms car every once in a while to run to the parts store or go to school. Even though the last time it actually broke down (the 35 taking a dump about 1 year ago) it's been down plenty of times for dumb stuff.

So it's nice to have a second vehicle I think and I plan to convert my ktm dirtbike to street and trail over winter so I'll have a second source of transportation.

But I'm sure a newer xj in good condition could dd on 31s without much hassle but once u start tinkering it's down hill from there it seems like. 35s are too much unless your DDing a nice brand new super tough Jk that never leaves pavement haha.

By the way I'm swapping a strong rebuilt lsd into the rear and a built 30 up front with a used arb(4.10s), planning to go more places than the rigs on 35s, that I follow here where the terrain dont get that gnarly. But I see u got ur locker idea going.

Last edited:
You should be able to get your transmission rebuilt or a good used one from the wrecking yard to get your neon up and still probably keep half or more of your budget to put towards the heep.
Just my $0.02

You should be able to get your transmission rebuilt or a good used one from the wrecking yard to get your neon up and still probably keep half or more of your budget to put towards the heep.
Just my $0.02

turbo the neon if you fix it and make the jeep the other DD for when your blowing up the engine on the neon lol. Then in theory at least one should be running when you need transportation. At least that was how I pitched it to my parents to let me buy a gremlin while the jeep was torn apart in the driveway but I spent it on the bike instead so I'm gonna try to put it to work. Still want another AMC though.

Buy a 2nd low-priced XJ or other vehicle to DD, then if you want to pust whatever money you have left into either, go for it.
I would go with the Eaton E-locker over the ARB. No compressor or other shenanigans needed.
As far as axles go. Your C8.25 should be fine on 35s, and for the D30 I would say truss, RCV CV shafts and possibly inner sleeves would make it good to go.
With large tires, regardless of what you are running, there is always a possibility of breakage.
4.88s with the 35s would be better as well.

Sadly I probably have $4k in my D30 alone. Wheel what you got and upgrade over time.

DD'ing a built XJ suuuucks. I thought I could do it, but I lasted 2-3 months before I bought a 2nd vehicle, and that was back when I was on 32's. On 35's? Only if my commute was less than 10 miles, and it's currently 40 miles one way.

Sounds like everyone is on the same page. I am not sinking time or $ into the neon. It has 165000 miles is burning oil and is only worth 2k at the same times needs brakes and struts. My budget just went up to $10k though so may buy a used impreza

With 5-6k you could buy a pair of built 44's with gears and arb's. That get you to reliable dd on 35's. Or drop the other 4 on a used commuter and have a reliable trail rig on 35's. I wheel my 89 xj on a 30 front and 35 rear both locked, but I wouldn't call it reliable (although I can swap out an axle shaft on the trail in about 30 m

I DD my XJ 40 miles each way to work and home.

I'm running 35s an open D30 cromo'd front and an 8.8 cromo'd w/ detroit rear. I get 14 mpg and holds 75 on the freeway with 4:88 gears.

My wife in my XJ

20111023120948981.jpg

I DD my XJ 40 miles each way to work and home.

I'm running 35s an open D30 cromo'd front and an 8.8 cromo'd w/ detroit rear. I get 14 mpg and holds 75 on the freeway with 4:88 gears.

My wife in my XJ

20111023120948981.jpg

Nice

Back