• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Exhaust

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
From what I've searched it looks like the 2 precats is the CA style emissions for the year 2000. Is this correct? If so is there a way to replace it with a non-CA exhaust and not get a CEL? I'm pretty sure I have to replace my entire exhaust and just trying to figure out the cheapest way to do it.

The only way to not get a CEL is to replace the Cali emissions ECU with an ECU from a non-Cali cherokee. Try ebay or car-parts.com

I've found a couple of precats for non-CA emissions, so I guess having them isn't a sure sign that I have a CA exhaust? Do all 2000s have precats? If not how do I know what ecm to get that would just let me run one standard cat without the precats?

No not all 2000 have pre cats. Mine doesn't. If I can remember I'll look at the computer tomorrow to see what part number it is.

That would be great scooby. I'm assuming that the ones with the precats have 4 O2 sensors and the ones without only have 2?

You are correct, Cali has four o2 sensors. When searching for an ECU, it is listed as a "standard emissions, or Federal emissions." Federal only has two 02 sensors. The cost of the ECU will be much less than buying new precats and four o2 sensors.

You can't remove two sensors. The computer is looking for input from four o2 sensors. You will get a CEL and your gas mileage will suffer.

I have a '00 form Ohio, and it had the pre-cats. I've never seen a '00 with just a single cat, but people say it exists. I've always wondered if it was a mid-year change: at some point they just started putting the pre-cats on all of them. In any event:

'Couple of problems converting.

To change to a single cat/multi- O2 sensor layout, you would need to get a single header or make a pair of head pipes to bolt the factory cast manifold to the exhaust pipe in place of the cats. You'd need to have bungs welded to both pipes so you had a place to install the front and rear upstream sensors.
Then you'd have to weld 2 sensor bungs for the down-stream sensors into the exhaust pipe behind the under-car cat, and extend the sensor harness to reach the new location.
That would give you a complete exhaust with all the sensors.
The '00/'01 head has a revised port layout. I don't think the earlier exhaust manifold will seal on the new head, and neither will aftermarket headers. You would either have to find a factory single piece '00 exhaust manifold and add the sensor bungs, or use the cast 2-piece manifold with the extension pipes. Either way, any competent emissions tec. would fail you on a visual inspection.

Back